4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension for handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Fobra
Banned

Most of the time you can find a cobra owner dying to swap to your SRA for free
Old 08-13-2009, 01:09 PM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

True, but even the IRS needs a little work plus its heavier. the SRA can be made to handle really well with the right set up.

Im happy to see more people jumping on the handling band wagon.

Last edited by RipTide7; 08-13-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Just sell your car and buy mine! It's already set up for both track and street:

Maximum Motorsports Max Grip Box Kit - Basically, everything and the kitchen sink to make your ride handle like a go-kart.

Wilwood SL6 and DL4 brakes - Fronts are 6 piston and rears are 4 piston. Slotted GT rotors to keep the brake fade down to a minimum.

Moser 31 spline axles/Eaton Posi/FRPP 4:10 gears - Now you don't have to worry about snapping an axle when you're pedal to the metal coming out of that late apex. Since you have the MM Max Grip you won't have to worry so much about lifting your inside wheel so the posi will spin both rear tires instead of just one giving you a nice little rocket effect when your rear end hooks on the rumble strip.

Both Jazzer and Aereon are spot on in there observations. They know their CHIT!!!

John
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
jasondd23

Originally Posted by Novanutcase
Just sell your car and buy mine! It's already set up for both track and street:

Maximum Motorsports Max Grip Box Kit - Basically, everything and the kitchen sink to make your ride handle like a go-kart.

Wilwood SL6 and DL4 brakes - Fronts are 6 piston and rears are 4 piston. Slotted GT rotors to keep the brake fade down to a minimum.

Moser 31 spline axles/Eaton Posi/FRPP 4:10 gears - Now you don't have to worry about snapping an axle when you're pedal to the metal coming out of that late apex. Since you have the MM Max Grip you won't have to worry so much about lifting your inside wheel so the posi will spin both rear tires instead of just one giving you a nice little rocket effect when your rear end hooks on the rumble strip.

Both Jazzer and Aereon are spot on in there observations. They know their CHIT!!!

John
If you weren't so far away from me I would buy your car.... how much are you asking for it though?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by jasondd23
"... I'm not much in to Drag Racing myself so I may be going against the grain but I think the Mustang has potential to carve some corners.
jason.... I love you!

Originally Posted by RipTide7
True, but even the IRS needs a little work plus its heavier. the SRA can be made to handle really well with the right set up. Im happy to see more people jumping on the handling band wagon.
Actually, the finest handling Mustangs in the world run an SRA. You are correct that they need some work to get there though.

Jazzer

I love you too, RipTide!

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 08-13-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I will look a little closer at the guide tonight while drinking a budget induced Amber Bock and Aereon thanks for the reminder on the brakes. Somehow they slipped my mind....
I'm not much in to Drag Racing myself so I may be going against the grain but I think the Mustang has potential to carve some corners.
The Mustang needs quite a bit of work before it's even considered nimble, but due to the price you can get a gt for and the amount of support from aftermarket companies it's not too bad.

Most people do overlook the importance of great tires and brakes when it comes to suspension.

Originally Posted by RipTide7
True, but even the IRS needs a little work plus its heavier. the SRA can be made to handle really well with the right set up.

Im happy to see more people jumping on the handling band wagon.

The IRS isn't as hard to make it handle as well as a properly setup SRA, I went from a TA/PHB setup to an IRS setup with the MM IRS grip pack. The IRS is much more street friendly(comfortable) than the SRA with the TA/PHB setup.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
The IRS isn't as hard to make it handle as well as a properly setup SRA, I went from a TA/PHB setup to an IRS setup with the MM IRS grip pack. The IRS is much more street friendly(comfortable) than the SRA with the TA/PHB setup.
True but the IRS has so much more going on that you need to do a lot of test and tune to really get it working right! Once it's dialed in it works great but, again, WAY more stuff to keep track of to get it right!

If you weren't so far away from me I would buy your car.... how much are you asking for it though?
$14,500.00

John