4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

04 mach1 miss with ac on

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 PM
slenherr

Default 04 mach1 miss with ac on

hello new here have a 04 mach1 with 24000 mile when cruising down the road every time a/c compressor kicks in the car stumbles for a split second.Have changed plugs and has new cops fuel filter. Cant get any codes to show any one seen this and what could it possibly be thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Misses wont always throw a code. If it doesn't happen enough the computer doesn't see it as a problem there for it wont throw codes. If the car still has a warranty take it in and let the stealership deal with it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Also it may not be a miss it could just be a bog or surge. Check all the connections to the COP's, and injectors.

Last edited by gunpig0313; 08-13-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 PM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

You might wanna check out that compressor. It looks to be putting a bog when it cycles/turns on. If it doesn't do it with ac off then the compressor is placing too much strain on motor. Bad compressor or clutch.... or too low freon etc...
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
slenherr

no warrenty left when compressor comes on feels like car cuts off for a split sec any way to check compressor thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slenherr
no warrenty left when compressor comes on feels like car cuts off for a split sec any way to check compressor thanks
Pulled this off some website...

-----------------

How to check for a locked up or seized compressor

1. Try to turn the clutch plate (on the end of the cpompressor).
2. Using a socket on the nut that holds the clutch plate on - see if it can be turned.
3. Look for signs of the clutch plate over-heating; discoloration.

If the belt is loose it may be because of a worn serpentine belt tensioner, but this alone won't cause the car to stall. A sticking IAC motor can cause the car to stall. An IAC motor typically gets carbon build up that can cause sticking. If the idle doesn't go up when the AC is turned on the engine can stall. Many times if this is the problem, the IAC motor can be removed from the throttle body and cleaned with a brush and fuel injector spray and then re-installed.

-----------------

I would check your compressor... it'll probably be ok. Then I'd clean the IAC and maybe replace it.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 PM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

does it trip out when ac cycles at idle or do you feel the slight power loss when it cycles while giving it gas/driving.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
slenherr

when its idleing you hear the compressor click on and off but dosent really pull on motor seem like the more rpms you turn the more you can feel it
Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 PM
slenherr

anybody seen this problem could it be a maf or tps sensor thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 PM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slenherr
anybody seen this problem could it be a maf or tps sensor thanks
Don't think so... If that were the case it would do it when the ac is off as well. I'm figuring your ac clutch is just pretty power consuming. Slight power is going to be lost when ac is on because the extra stress added when ac clutch is activated/on. The motor feels the drag that it puts on it. I know when i'm cruising with no ac...then roll up windows and turn ac on, I always feel it in pedal when accelerating. After that, I really don't pay attention because its to hot to cruise without it unless its race time. If your ac is working well and no rattle can be heard on compressor, it could just be a picky power consuming compressor. Make sure it is not cycling on and off constantly. It should cycle on then off for sort of long periods depending on outside/inside temp. A compressor constantly cycling on and off could be a sign of low freon.

Quick Reply: 04 mach1 miss with ac on