4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99 GT 4.6 Head removal help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 AM
bsimecka

Default 99 GT 4.6 Head removal help

I have read that the heads can be pulled with the engine in the car but will the heads come out with the stock exhaust manifolds attached? I have the drivers side almost out, all head bolts etc are out but doesn't seem to want to come out... any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

just remove the manifolds, you dont want to risk damaging the seating surfaces on either the head or block b/c u are trying to snake them out with the manifolds attached. not hard if you already that far with your engine tear down.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 PM
aMerICAn_mUsCLe79
2nd Gear Member

I agree, also If you think getting them out is hard try putting the head back with them attached...gotta snake the dipstick thru it and everything, even more a pain.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:13 PM
bsimecka

I will remove them, any advice ? do I have to remove the steering shaft on driver side and the starter on the passenger side ? Did you remove yours from below ?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM
bsimecka

Once I get the heads off, will it be obvious that head gaskets were blown? I had lots of coolant blowing out of exhaust after getting HOT... Also what is your guess that the head and / or block is cracked ? Any way to tell ?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:44 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Just a visual inspection... Other then that, a machine shop can pressure check the heads, or hit them w a chemical inspectant
Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I removed the passenger side head with the manifold attached, wasn't terrible. Putting it back on was a bit trickier because the gasket could VERY EASILY get gauged up by the manifold as you are fidgeting it into place.

Driver side could be a pain.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

when i swaped heads in my car i unbolted the engine from the engine mounts and raised the engine alittle by jacking it up under the oil pan. this makes things alittle easier to get to. also it allows you to rock the engine to get the heads out with the manifolds still on. to do this you have to take the starter off as well as the steering shaft.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

The heads will come out with the manifolds on, both sides. The dip stick tube will have to come out first for the driver side head. The steering shaft and starter can stay in.

When you put in the driver side head one or two bolts will have to be hanging in the head, since you won't be able to get them straight into the holes on the head when it's sitting on the engine. The passenger side needs two or three to be in.

Also, disconnect the bolts holding the hydroboost to the firewall and move it out of the way.

I did this with 4v heads in the car (much less room) and didn't jack the engine up or anything. It's totally do-able.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 AM
bsimecka

Thanks for the info. The hydroboost is the brake booster, right ? If unbolted from firewall and moved out of the way, brake lines remain attached correct... only the booster is moved aside with lines attached.. right ? Thanks again. Ben

Quick Reply: 99 GT 4.6 Head removal help