4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

desperate for advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kodiak
First I installed the chip and just turned on key and no lights. Then I installed maf and big tube and drove car and thats when the driveability probs showed on initial roadtest. I then took bottom of bbk intake with filter and put on. Car ran good. I tried to reinstall big k&n and lower tube that runs through fender and same problem. Thats when kb told me that I must be taking in unmetered air from maf to tb and thtas whats causing problem and not the tune. I did not touch upper intake tube until today when I put back on bbk but with 90mm maf. Only problem is nowwith the bigger maf it was very hard to put bbk tubing around because of its 4inch diameter. Thats why I ask if I could put on stock maf holder and just swap the internals. I really do not know what approach to take next. This is where I am stuck. By the way thanx for the time you are taking
Of course I can not be 100% as I don't have the car in front of me, and I don't have the tune open in front of me... but.

The tubing before the MAF plays a much larger roll than the tubing after. That being said. KB sent you a tune for the new intake kit. So they admit right there that it requires modifying the tune (specifically the MAF). I dont know how they operate but perhaps they loaded a value file for the changes and didn't double check everything. The value file is a saved set of parameters, and most of the time does what it should, but not always.

I know you said you didn't have a wide band but do you or a friend have any way of datalogging? XCAL2, 3. We can check the fuel trims which would help prove or disprove what I believe is the problem.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Unfortunatley i do not. What route or approach do you think I should take next?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:16 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

only one route to go. GET A TUNE! Those stupid chips they give u arent worth 2 craps!

get tune
/thread.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SmallFeesh
only one route to go. GET A TUNE! Those stupid chips they give u arent worth 2 craps!

get tune
/thread.
There is nothing wrong with the chip that KB send. They can be just as affective as reflashing the computer. Also KB has spent a lot of time tuning different combos and when they send the right tune work very well.

buying their intake kit and tune should have worked out quite well, but I fear someone made and honest mistake and needs to reflash the chip. Do I think their mail order kit will make more power than a fine tuned car on the dyno.... no. That being said finding someone that can create a custom tune for you that really knows what they are doing isn't always that easy. Finding someone that claims they can, well that's a cake walk.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

removed the whole kenne bell intake and put back on bbk cai with 90 mm mass air and car runs fine. no more driveability issues any more. I imagine the chip is fine but I did set up appt to go to jdm engineering in freehold nj who I have heard great reviews about. To bad I have to wait until oct because they are so backed up. Its worth the wait to get a good tuner than to make things worse with somebody else. I am goin to get the jlt ram air intake and im returning the kenne bell. I just hope it fits. If anyones has run the ram air with the kenne bell charger let me know how it fits. Spent a long time on the phone with the tuner at jdm and they told me that is basically the best intake they have run on their dyno. No bends is the most important is what he told me so I will listen. Just worried about fitment issues. I have enough intake swapping to last me a lifetime this week. Anymore info greatly appreciated