4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

desperate for advice

Old 08-21-2009, 10:31 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Exclamation desperate for advice

Have a 2000 gt 5spd with kenne bell ic 9lb supercharger. Car was running fine with the kb tune that came with the kit. Looking for more i ordered their big tube intake kit which is a 4 inch cold air intake with a ford 90mm mass air meter and a huge 12 inch high flow k&n filter. Also came with new tune. Installed the chip and all good no ce lights or anything. Installed cold air intake and all hell has broke loose. Car lugs at low roms bad. Feels as if I have a bad plug wire in which I dont(coil paks). I went through all troubleshooting with kenne bell and smoke tested cai. I had little smoke by egr in which I dont believe is the problem because car was running fine before. Little smoke by iac valve again do not believe is prob. most smoke came from 4 inch tube after maf to throttle body. They say it is prob cause but also told me that when you have a better flowing intake other problems will surface. Had a bbk cai with 75mm tb and stock maf and car ran fine until this change. i am ready to dump the kb system and go back to bbk ro maybe buy a jlt cai but i really would like to fix this setup. Any help would be great. Also when I put on bbk air filter car ran better but kb told me thats just because I limited the flow. When I put back on k&n samed problems. I truly believe prob is between maf and tb but call me crazy. Thank you in advance for any advice
Old 08-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kodiak
Have a 2000 gt 5spd with kenne bell ic 9lb supercharger. Car was running fine with the kb tune that came with the kit. Looking for more i ordered their big tube intake kit which is a 4 inch cold air intake with a ford 90mm mass air meter and a huge 12 inch high flow k&n filter. Also came with new tune. Installed the chip and all good no ce lights or anything. Installed cold air intake and all hell has broke loose. Car lugs at low roms bad. Feels as if I have a bad plug wire in which I dont(coil paks). I went through all troubleshooting with kenne bell and smoke tested cai. I had little smoke by egr in which I dont believe is the problem because car was running fine before. Little smoke by iac valve again do not believe is prob. most smoke came from 4 inch tube after maf to throttle body. They say it is prob cause but also told me that when you have a better flowing intake other problems will surface. Had a bbk cai with 75mm tb and stock maf and car ran fine until this change. i am ready to dump the kb system and go back to bbk ro maybe buy a jlt cai but i really would like to fix this setup. Any help would be great. Also when I put on bbk air filter car ran better but kb told me thats just because I limited the flow. When I put back on k&n samed problems. I truly believe prob is between maf and tb but call me crazy. Thank you in advance for any advice
Do you have a wide band in the car? sounds to me like the transfer function for the MAF is not tuned correctly for the intake tubing they sent you.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

I do not have a wideband but i am running 90mm maf with bbk and car runs good
Old 08-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

I do not have a wideband but i am running 90mm maf with bbk and car runs good
so they sent you a "new tune" with the new intake parts and it runs like ****. You install the original intake pieces with the "new tune" and it runs fine? or you replaced the tune with the old one.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

Also can I run the smaller diameter maf sensor holder from stock maf which is I belive 3inch diameter or do I have to stick with 4 inch one on the 90mm maf. i only ask because it will fit better on the bbk if I use the 90 maf with the holder from the stock maf
Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

I definitly left the new tune in that was setup for the 90 maf and bigtube induction
Old 08-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

I definitly left the new tune in that was setup for the 90 maf and bigtube induction
IF its a chip have KB reflash it for you (I think someone forgot to make some changes) if its done with a hand held have then send you a new tune. Sounds to me like the tune does not have the correct TF for the MAF and new intake tube setup.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

They insist its not the problem because I have no check engine light on and also the 90 maf works works with the bbk. They said* I would have major driveability issues if tune was not right. I did not know the tune needs to be set p for intake tube also. How come if I bought a jlt 4 inch for my car they say no retune needed
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

They insist its not the problem because I have no check engine light on and also the 90 maf works works with the bbk. They said* I would have major driveability issues if tune was not right. I did not know the tune needs to be set p for intake tube also. How come if I bought a jlt 4 inch for my car they say no retune needed
Any time you change the intake tube design the tune should be addressed. Even the clocking of the MAF sensor can alter the reading... more than you would think.

Also now that I reread your first post you said that you installed the tune and the car ran fine. Then you installed the bug tube kit a MAF.. is this correct?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 PM
kodiak
1st Gear Member

First I installed the chip and just turned on key and no lights. Then I installed maf and big tube and drove car and thats when the driveability probs showed on initial roadtest. I then took bottom of bbk intake with filter and put on. Car ran good. I tried to reinstall big k&n and lower tube that runs through fender and same problem. Thats when kb told me that I must be taking in unmetered air from maf to tb and thtas whats causing problem and not the tune. I did not touch upper intake tube until today when I put back on bbk but with 90mm maf. Only problem is nowwith the bigger maf it was very hard to put bbk tubing around because of its 4inch diameter. Thats why I ask if I could put on stock maf holder and just swap the internals. I really do not know what approach to take next. This is where I am stuck. By the way thanx for the time you are taking

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: desperate for advice