4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Kenne Bell on a 100k mile motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Default New Kenne Bell on a 100k mile motor?

Hey guys,
I have close to 100k miles on my motor. I want a Kenne Bell but I am wondering if my motor will hold up to a 2.1L intercooled kit @ 9 PSI. What do you think? Yes? No? Problem? Ideas? Alternatives?
Thanks,
BLKWT GT
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I did a pi swap on a 100k mile motor and now I'm running a procharger on that same setup, and I've not had any major issuses, just the fan died once. It's been to together for a couple of years now. I'd say you'll be fine if the motor is still in good condition.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Just make sure your motor is in perfect running order and you should be fine.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah my motor is in good shape. I haven't had any problems with it and I've kept up with the maintenance on it. I just wouldn't want it to blow up right after I spend the money for a blower and then kaboom! If I could get a few more years out of the motor with the KB on it, that would be great. Then I could rebuild the motor and go all forged and crank up the boost from 9 psi to 14 >:-)
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk N Wht GT
Yeah my motor is in good shape. I haven't had any problems with it and I've kept up with the maintenance on it. I just wouldn't want it to blow up right after I spend the money for a blower and then kaboom! If I could get a few more years out of the motor with the KB on it, that would be great. Then I could rebuild the motor and go all forged and crank up the boost from 9 psi to 14 >:-)
Well - you should be fine but anything can happen with your motor especially with power from a blower. It will be all up to the tune and how you drive your car. My car was/is down for 13 months because I was at 400 rwhp with 4.10s in a 5 speed and loved to rev my car to 6 grand all the time and guess what stock pistons do not like high rpms but I had a 10 lb and aftercooler. I don't want to scare you just letting you know my experience and power level. I ended up parking my car and leasing a 2008 Jetta.

My build should be done this saturday
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Well - you should be fine but anything can happen with your motor especially with power from a blower. It will be all up to the tune and how you drive your car. My car was/is down for 13 months because I was at 400 rwhp with 4.10s in a 5 speed and loved to rev my car to 6 grand all the time and guess what stock pistons do not like high rpms but I had a 10 lb and aftercooler. I don't want to scare you just letting you know my experience and power level. I ended up parking my car and leasing a 2008 Jetta.

My build should be done this saturday
Knowing that I don't have a brand new engine, I would have my tune set up farily conservative to be on the safe side. (I'd rather have slightly less power for a long time that have lots of power for a short time.) I think 400rwhp would be the top I would want to go, maybe a little less ~380ish. I have 3.73s and right now going up to 6k is fun, but with the blower, I would keep the revs reasonable, within 5.5k-5.7k. Even moderate driving with a blower is probably way better than what I'm at now . I'm not scared, I know full well what I'm getting into haha and I appreciate your feedback.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

just do it!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
just do it!
Haha and if the 2.1 doesn't work out for me I'll just jump up to the 2.8 right???
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

you will love the power there is nothing like it!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
you will love the power there is nothing like it!
haha, I can only imagine...

Quick Reply: New Kenne Bell on a 100k mile motor?