4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ABS issue need clarification

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Default ABS issue need clarification

Ok well my abs light is one 100% of the time im in the car for about a day it wouldnt come un till i drove about a 1/4 mile, it doesnt blink its solid. I would assume this is the abs module since ive replaced that before when this issue occurred but this time the traction control works so does this mean its not the module? Ive read tons of threads about abs light and most say to clean the abs wheel sensors.
1. I have no idea what these sensors look like or exactly where they are or what part of them to spray.
2. What do i spray them with.
3. Is it probably a sensor problem or abs module again?

thanks, i know this has been asked tons of times but i couldn't find any thread with pics or abs speed sensors and where to spray them. Also the car has stock sized wheels and tires, and stock calipers/rotors.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Usually the ABS module doesnt go out that easy. THose things are made to withstand some beating. Check your ABS fuse first see if it blew for some odd reason. To clean the ABS sensor use brake cleaner. The ABS sensor is kinda hard to explain where its located but here is the picture that will give you a good idea.Its very easy to take out and clean
Attached Thumbnails ABS issue need clarification-comprsssprg.jpg  
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

ok gotcha, after cleaning the sensors should i disconnect the battery for a bit or will it go away by itself
Old 09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Yeah any time I work on anything that has to do with electricity/magnetic I disconnect it just in case.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

well i sprayed down all of them and got everything clean, im just gonna unhook the battery overnight since im blocked in anyways and hopefully problem will be gone tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Computer needs 30 seconds to reset so if you start it back up and pump the brakes for a bit and try to move car a foot or two and brake to see if the lighs gona come back on but the best way is to test drive it.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

ya im just gonna go for a test drive when i get home tomorrow
Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

well, after having the battery disconnected for about 30 minutes plugged it in and went to the store. Nothing changed, the second i turned it on the light stayed on before i even moved. So im guessing something is faulty. Any ideas? Traction control still works if that helps anything. This problem occurred the day after i had my car out on a really rainy night also.

Last edited by antiv6; 09-03-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:08 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

UPDATE: I disconnected the battery and pulled the plug on the abs module off and cleaned the pins on the module that go in the connector, plugged it back in and went to get gas and there was no light the entire way there. I shut the car off got gas than took the long way home and the light never came on. Everything was working perfectly (knocks on wood). Tomorrow im taking my car to school/wherever i go and hopefully the problem is resolved, wish me luck! While the light was on before i got a little pedal kick back when brakeing now there is none
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

That is very odd, I have never heard of anyone having troubles with the ABS module, let alone twice! Something must be causing the corrosion your are seeing on the pins. Next time you clean it out, make sure that it is sealed from water. Keep us posted. BTW, you might want to invest in an ABS scan tool, they are great. Mine paid for itself in the money I saved from not taking it to the stealership.

Quick Reply: ABS issue need clarification