4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP-Another '04 GT with problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:26 PM
joshgsr_325

Default HELP-Another '04 GT with problems

Ok, so I'm pretty good with cars but this is my first mustang and I've never experienced any of these problems with the 20 something other cars and trucks that I've owned. So I figured I'd ask you guys for your expert opinions.
It's a completely stock 2004 GT 5spd with 57,000 miles.

1. The car wobbles or rocks up and down at low speeds. It's always there but it's really noticable in turns. That wobble/rocking turns into a really bad vibration throughout the whole car at highway speeds with the clutch in or out. Had a friend ride next to me and he said he didn't see any of the wheels shaking and everything else looked normal.

2. There is a lot of vibration in the shifter under acceleration. When not accelerating the shifter kinda jumps around a little...definitely more that it should. There are a lot of clanking noises coming from the tranny area when i shift or hit bumps. Also, theres a "clunk" when I coast for a second and then give it gas.

3. last one...on cold starts the engine knocks really loud for a couple of seconds. It also idles a little rough all the time. oh yeah, and the rear end whines at 55mph.

That's it...I think. It is tune-up time so that could have something to do with the idle. As for the vibrations and noises I've been over the car a hundred times and the only thing I found wrong is that the right front wheel has a tiny little bit of play from left to right and that's accompied by the inner tie rod "clanking". I'm certain the throwout bearing is a goner because when I let the clutch out in neutral it gives me that metallic his sound. I've had it in a couple of shops and they can't seem to find anything wrong with the car. I've replaced the tires, had alignments, serviced the rear end and tranny and use synthetic oil and none of the wheels are bent. Its my daily so I take really good care of it but the car still rides and handles like *** and it's driving me crazy because I can't find the problems other than the ones I mentioned. I know those would have some effect on it but it shouldn't be this bad. Anyways, sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give you guys the full story. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:50 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Shaking/wobbling/vibrations...bad rotors, bad wheel bearings/hubs, out of balance wheels
You said the tie rod was clanking...maybe the tie rods are bad.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 AM
TheDallasKid

Hello, I'm new to this forum site, and I'm no car genius, but I am having the same problem as listed in # 2... I have been told by a couple of car guys that maybe my clutch plate is getting worn, or is possibly "warped" ... I know, sounds wierd, and like I said, I dont know a whole lot about transmissions, but maybe you should have the tranny inspected for wear... Note: mine also bucks pretty hard in 5th and I have been told to prepare to eat a clutch soo... not much help, but there's a thought.
Good luck, let me know what the end result is.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 AM
joshgsr_325

I don't know why I didn't even think to check to see if the rotors were warped. I just did the brakes on it about two months ago and i bet when i took the rotors to have them turned they ran em too thin. The wheels are definitely balanced...I've had em done and re-done, and i don't think it's the wheel bearings because when I've had them go bad on my other vehicles theres always that distinctive "jingle bell" or rattling sound and A LOT of play, both vertical and horizontal. I've only got just a little bit of horizontal play...even a little bit is too much though, I know. So I'm gonna change out that inner tie rod and check all the rotors. Thanks MJH78.

TheDallasKid- yeah I'm about ready to go ahead and just drop the whole tranny and check it out. If I can ever find the time to do such a daunting task. I'm pretty sure i'm gonna need a new clutch but I hope that's it. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:08 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joshgsr_325
Ok, so I'm pretty good with cars but this is my first mustang and I've never experienced any of these problems with the 20 something other cars and trucks that I've owned. So I figured I'd ask you guys for your expert opinions.
It's a completely stock 2004 GT 5spd with 57,000 miles.

1. The car wobbles or rocks up and down at low speeds. It's always there but it's really noticable in turns. That wobble/rocking turns into a really bad vibration throughout the whole car at highway speeds with the clutch in or out. Had a friend ride next to me and he said he didn't see any of the wheels shaking and everything else looked normal.

Check shocks, likely shot, they really are only good for abou 50k miles. Also, i'm not 100% sure I understand your description or the problem, but this defintely sounds like what happens when you install a new clutch without resurfacing/replacing the flywheel.

2. There is a lot of vibration in the shifter under acceleration. When not accelerating the shifter kinda jumps around a little...definitely more that it should. There are a lot of clanking noises coming from the tranny area when i shift or hit bumps. Also, theres a "clunk" when I coast for a second and then give it gas.

Is the shifter stock or an aftermarket Short Throw? Vibration is normal, think muscle car. The clunk is because you have a beefy *** drivetrain, and this happens in all of them, however, if the noise is VERY loud, check the U-joints, they could be worn prematurely. Also, check to see all bolts are secured in driveshaft couplings/U-joints.

3. last one...on cold starts the engine knocks really loud for a couple of seconds. It also idles a little rough all the time. oh yeah, and the rear end whines at 55mph.

Oil pump may be going, though its a long shot given the low mileage, be more descriptive of the "knock" sound...it could just be the lifters, this is common after setting for a very ling time or after an oil change. But it should go away in a few secs. And it shouldn't happen again the next time you start it.
That's it...I think. It is tune-up time so that could have something to do with the idle. As for the vibrations and noises I've been over the car a hundred times and the only thing I found wrong is that the right front wheel has a tiny little bit of play from left to right and that's accompied by the inner tie rod "clanking". I'm certain the throwout bearing is a goner because when I let the clutch out in neutral it gives me that metallic his sound. I've had it in a couple of shops and they can't seem to find anything wrong with the car. I've replaced the tires, had alignments, serviced the rear end and tranny and use synthetic oil and none of the wheels are bent. Its my daily so I take really good care of it but the car still rides and handles like *** and it's driving me crazy because I can't find the problems other than the ones I mentioned. I know those would have some effect on it but it shouldn't be this bad. Anyways, sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give you guys the full story. Thanks in advance for all your help.
The throwout bearing very well could be going, but it also may be just fine. Mine makes that noise too, and its brand new. Don't be over analyitcal of noises in these cars, they have LOTS of them. Oh, one other thought on the vibration, Your driveshaft could be out of balance, it may have been removed before and reinstalled backwards. As far as the whine from the rear at 55mph, I highly doubt its the gears, unless they are aftermarket. Could be bearings.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
joshgsr_325

It's still got the stock shifter. Yeah I would think a little bit of vibration would be normal but this is a bit excessive...and coupled with the metallic banging noises it makes when I hit bumps makes me think transmission mount. The knocking is actually more of a ticking. It only does it for a few seconds after I start it up for the first time of the day. I kind of figured the whine to be the pinion bearing but I'm not 100% sure so I figured I'd ask. And I'm sure you're right about the shocks too....I've always heard the stock shocks and struts are total crap anyway. Time to upgrade! Too bad I just spent all my money on reverend horton heat, motorhead, and nasheville ***** tickets

Last edited by joshgsr_325; 09-04-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: crappy spelling
Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Our cars are basically 1/2 ton pickup trucks with flashy bodies, and if you have never before owned a manual transmission, relatively high-torque RWD vehicle, then the "clunk" you describe when coasting and then "giving it gas" may be normal--with the answer being "don't do that"...

Unlike an automatic, where the drive train always has some positive torque on it even when coasting, when you coast in gear with a manual transmission the drive train will have negative torque (it's trying to spin the engine)--when you step on the accelerator the drive train transitions from its spinning the engine to the engine spinning it, and perfectly normal "slop" in the transmission/u-joints/rear-end makes the clunk.

After a bit you'll learn to initially apply a light touch to the throttle when going from coasting to being under power.