MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Wanna keep the 410's but.. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/561971-wanna-keep-the-410s-but.html)

Soldier GT 09-11-2009 08:43 PM

Wanna keep the 410's but..

Hey guys about to head back to the sandbox next month and once I return gonna get a S/C. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Super Charger /410 gear combo. I was told by a good friend that I would be okay if I went with the Procharger/Vortech because they were both centrifigual powerplants and they didn't produce instant boost. What do you guys think would be my best course of action. Thxs guys I appreciate any info.....

vanquish 09-11-2009 09:00 PM

There's actually a thread going on right now in the pipes, boost section about this. I'm running 10 psi with a Vortech right now and don't know what gear to go with either.

I would think 4.10's for up to around 10 psi. I would do the blower then see what it's like before tearing the rear end apart though. How much boost are you planning to run?

Mustang_NTriangle 09-11-2009 09:15 PM

Well I can shed some light on this since my last setup was 400 rwhp @ 10 psi with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed with a vortech and it is awesome as it gives you great low end tq and power off the line couple with vortech mid to high-end revs is perfect. In terms of traction on the street I did not really have a problem with my BF KDWs.

With my new setup, next week I will be pushing 450 - 475 rwhp @ 13 psi and 4.10s but with a forge built block and I am keeping my 4.10s:)

However, if you plan on going to the track you will run out of gear with 4.10s in the 1/4 mile @ 111 mph you will need a drag radial for sure at the track if you go with a taller tire it will give you a few more mph over the 111 for the 1/4 mile.

Eduardo 09-11-2009 09:30 PM

i too have a vortech with 4.10's and on the street 1st-2nd gear blow. nothing but tire spin unless i pedal the throttle but thats with nitto 555 street tires. at the track with a sticky 26" tire they'll be great though, especially with the right suspension.

Soldier GT 09-11-2009 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by vanquish (Post 6489441)
There's actually a thread going on right now in the pipes, boost section about this. I'm running 10 psi with a Vortech right now and don't know what gear to go with either.

I would think 4.10's for up to around 10 psi. I would do the blower then see what it's like before tearing the rear end apart though. How much boost are you planning to run?

I was thinking 8-10 psi.

vanquish 09-11-2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eduardo (Post 6489536)
i too have a vortech with 4.10's and on the street 1st-2nd gear blow. nothing but tire spin unless i pedal the throttle but thats with nitto 555 street tires. at the track with a sticky 26" tire they'll be great though, especially with the right suspension.

I have the same tires so I'm probably going with 3.73's. Plus I plan on running 16 psi soon.

vanquish 09-11-2009 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Soldier GT (Post 6489596)
I was thinking 8-10 psi.

Well you already have gears and 4.10 is a reasonable ratio with a blower so again I wouldn't worry about swapping out your current gears until you see what it's like.

That car is going to sound badass since you already have cams too.

se8504 09-12-2009 12:37 AM

Besides the S/C that im not too sure of, Be careful over there and show em how its done the American way! - US Marine.

dimebag 09-12-2009 10:25 AM

Look at it this way... Pay money to slow it down? Or pay money to make it hook? I'd do suspension and a tire. If you do run out of gear at the track, step up to a taller tire... Or do what I did... Bump the limiter to 6500, shift where u usually would but go ahead and let 4th pull a little higher, I'm trapping 114 and 115 doing this, and I hardly go over redline.

Hangwire 09-12-2009 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by dimebag (Post 6490401)
Look at it this way... Pay money to slow it down? Or pay money to make it hook? I'd do suspension and a tire. If you do run out of gear at the track, step up to a taller tire... Or do what I did... Bump the limiter to 6500, shift where u usually would but go ahead and let 4th pull a little higher, I'm trapping 114 and 115 doing this, and I hardly go over redline.

This is all perfectly fine and good if your setting up a drag car and don't mind hideous tiny rims and fat ass tires, however, for a street car S/C + 4.10s is a HUGE MISTAKE.

Lets put it this way........a certain someone I know that put a KB 2.1L on a 99 GT with 3.27's and 315's had to do absolutely everything he could on the track to prevent the first two gears from not shredding his tires. :icon_sad: :mad: Thats not fun. So you can take it from drag honks who scream that you should get 4.30's who have no concept of a street car, or you can use a little common sense and think about it. Youl notice that 80% of the people who say 4.10 OMG OMG OMG BEST EVAR have nothing but bolt ons and are making a mild 270 to the wheels. They wouldn't know what traction issues were if it ran across their forehead. :icon_fryingpan:

Not to mention how obnoxious riding on the highway at 3,000-3,500 RPM's is, and the effect it has on your gas mileage, though it may be small.

When it comes down to brass tax. If you are building a bonafied drag car 4.10s are the bread and butter. However if you only hit the track maybe twice a year and you daily drive your car and want it to be street friendly, DONT DO IT :icon_slap:

I do want to make it clear that this isnt directed at dimebag, as he gave the proper advice for a drag car and he could probably out launch us in a golf cart after a spliff or two. :icon_steer: :icon_pimp: