4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shorty Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM
DAPOT

Default Shorty Headers

I have shorty headers on my 2v new edge (they are pretty rusted though), with full bolt ons.

I plan on going vortech f/i, would it be worth it to upgrade to long tubes? Are headers suppose to rust really bad? Should I replace them now if they are rusted anyway with longtubes?

Thanks

DAPOT
Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

i had used longtubes on my car in western md and they rusted in one winter. i just upgraded to pypes longtubes with their matching h-pipe. while their quality isn't the greatest, at least they wont rust, being a completely stainless steel system
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Keep your shorties till after you do everything else. (Unless they rust through, of course)

Headers should be the last thing you do unless you just want to change your sound or you are making HIGH numbers.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:01 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You can put heat wraps (or whatever they are) around them and make sure you buy ceramic coated headers. That also helps with rust. LTs are a PITA to install so I probably would do them when you put the s/c on.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
You can put heat wraps (or whatever they are) around them and make sure you buy ceramic coated headers. That also helps with rust. LTs are a PITA to install so I probably would do them when you put the s/c on.
NEVER put wraps on a street car. It will rust faster due to the moisture being held in by the material. Noob fail, lol.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by sxynerd
NEVER put wraps on a street car. It will rust faster due to the moisture being held in by the material. Noob fail, lol.
I guess I should have put that I have read people putting wrapping around their headers to try and help reduce the heat and corrosion.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

I guess I should have put that I have read people putting wrapping around their headers to try and help reduce the heat and corrosion.
isn't it the moister though not the heat that makes metal rust, it doesn't really matter if your anywhere where there is moister there going to eventually start rusting. Unless there completely rusted out and have holes in them, i wouldn't bother changing them just yet
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

That's absolutely right but these are street cars and it'll just add to the corrosion problem.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DAPOT
I have shorty headers on my 2v new edge (they are pretty rusted though), with full bolt ons.

I plan on going vortech f/i, would it be worth it to upgrade to long tubes? Are headers suppose to rust really bad? Should I replace them now if they are rusted anyway with longtubes?

Thanks

DAPOT
IMO, it's only worth it if you are taking off the shorties for sure. Then i'd do long tubes without question. Otherwise (if you can) run the suckers as long as you can.

The long tubes do have a slightly deeper sound that screams at WOT.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

+1 to everything sxynerd said, heat wrapped headers are for track cars/cars that never see wetness/water/snow/precipitation/fog/condionsation/mist/frost.

Quick Reply: Shorty Headers