4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I need help!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation I need help!

Hey all. Just manned up turned my 96 V6 into a V8. The engine, both LH and RH wiring harnesses, the transmission, the instrument guage bezel, fuel lines, axle, master cylinder and hydro boost lines, CCRM, Computer, all engine accesories came out of a 97 donor car from MPS.

Here is my problem: My starter won't turn over when energized.

This is what I've done so far:I have tried applying 12 volts to the single pin connector off the distribution box to bypass the start switch. All it did was go click and drained my battery dead. So I figured it may be the starter pulled it and had it checked along with the battery and both were in good shape, in fact the starter was almost like new. After reinstalling I tried it again but with the same results. My fuel pump energizes and I have power to the inside. I have checked the primary fuses at the distribution box and they were ok.

It seems like my power is grounding out and not making it to the starter. Any suggestions on which way to turn. I know that I might have a problem from the Auto Theft system that would require flashing the computer to reset it but MPS me assured it should at least turn over. Anyone??
Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

have you tried bench testing the starter to make sure its good
Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman03
have you tried bench testing the starter to make sure its good
Yes I had it bench checked and it spun great. The brushes inside were like new and the solenoid operated fine.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

BTW I forgot to mention that its an automatic transmission.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Smokeybear001

have you tried to turn the engine over by hand to make sure it isn't seized?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 AM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smokeybear001
have you tried to turn the engine over by hand to make sure it isn't seized?
Yes I had to do this when I connected the transmission to line up the flywheel and torq converter.

A couple of thoghts I've had: Is the CCRM a posible culprit? Another thing I have the whole car up on stands. Could this be why its grounding out?
Old 09-19-2009, 11:20 AM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Bump - Anyone?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 PM
jeff37110
2nd Gear Member

If the ccrm was bad it would still turn over...Mine went out a few weeks ago and my fuel pump would not energize..but car still turned over..
Old 09-19-2009, 04:43 PM
fisher2985
2nd Gear Member

has ur key gotta chip in it?
Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fisher2985
has ur key gotta chip in it?
No it dosen't and it hasn't since I bought it 3 years ago prior to that who knows. One of the first things I do when I buy a car used is change the ignition switch. But the switch prior to mine did not have one either. I was told by MPS that this could cause a problem with the Anti-theft but they assured me it would still turn over. Specifically they said the "If the fuel pump comes on and it turns over but won't start then I would need to have my computer flashed or reset to accept the new setup." Apparently this is a common problem.

I know this starting problem could happen if the transmission were not in gear. But I think the switch would be tied to the gear selector and not the transmission. I could be wrong about that but it seems to make sense. But I haven't done anything to that area through the whole process. I have thru tomorrow to figure this out or I'm turning it over to a local mechanic at MV Performance who does these all the time. I'm sure it's something small and stupid it's just a matter of finding it.

Search this Thread