4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Heater, air vents blowing out little chuncks of oily foam

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:43 PM
my first stang

Default Heater, air vents blowing out little chuncks of oily foam

hi everyone. this is my first post so i figured i'd say hi first. so i just bought a 1998 gt and now i am experiencing some issues. when i turn on the heat or air a bunch of little bits of oily foam with some sort of adhesive on it comes out. Heater core? looks like dashpad foam. not sure what the heck it is. your help would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

This is common in older cars, the foam seals used on the various air direction control vanes in the heater/AC have deteriorated--happens a lot in "city" cars that are exposed to a lot of exhaust emissions, happens to almost all of them eventually...
Old 09-19-2009, 03:21 PM
my first stang

so what is the fix for this, take out dash replace all the seals in the ductwork? how easy is this? or what do you think a shop would charge for this work
Old 09-19-2009, 04:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by my first stang
so what is the fix for this, take out dash replace all the seals in the ductwork?
Yes...

how easy is this? or what do you think a shop would charge for this work
I have no idea, other than it would not be cheap--wlecome to the world of disposable automobiles. Ford never intended for your car to last 12 years, how would that help our "consumer spending based" economy?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:25 PM
my first stang

i have a buddy thats a mechanic i'll have to get him to help. aleast i have a decent platform for speed and handling. wonder if i can get this thing to blow all the loose stuff out then it could be good for awhile/highly unlikely but... i got good hot heat and cold ac so... thanks for the replies.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
my first stang

hahaha it quit blowing chunks, don't know why but it did. i guess i won this fight lol!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:44 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by my first stang
hahaha it quit blowing chunks, don't know why but it did. i guess i won this fight lol!
There will be another round when more of the foam deteriorates, unless it's all gone now--been there, done that...
Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 AM
my first stang

by that time hopefully this will not be my daily driver and i can take my good old time ripping the dash out! hopefully lol! its not coming out of the floor vent so this winter i'm safe either way for a couple months.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

All it means is that the various air flow diverters will not seal as well as they might, the effect being that the AC may not blow as cold, the heat not as hot, the recirculate mode may include a bit of outside air, and the overall operation of the HVAC will be a bit noisier...
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

lol Every SN95 I've ever owned did this =)

Quick Reply: Heater, air vents blowing out little chuncks of oily foam