4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ok...tell me if this is a dumb idea..lol spark plug

Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

I just have a feeling that the jb weld will either break the top off, or form to it but not adhere... Chances are the waranty should fix it tho...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by dimebag
I just have a feeling that the jb weld will either break the top off, or form to it but not adhere... Chances are the waranty should fix it tho...
dont you think they would tell me its something i did wrong, therefore my fault?

and i kinda think the jb weld will break the top off...but wanted some opinions from people who have maybe had an issue like this before...i dont know how durable the porcelain is on a plug
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by mustangman03
I think you could try one of these to get it out http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025D4LP0/...SIN=B0025D4LP0

I have used them a good bit at work but never on a spark plug as you losen the bolt it tighten ups on the head of the bolt it also has a hex head on it so you can use a socket on it
i run into the same issue....wouldnt it eventually grip tight enough to crack the porcelain before it got tight enough to spin the plug out?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I would go for the extractors overall, its your best bet. I know Ive cracked the porcelain before but not bad enough to where it fell into the cylinder. I would keep a shop vac close by and get the piston top dead on that cylinder just in case. Idk, your pretty much ****ed any way you look at it just take it slow and pray to the car gods.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by a_penquin
I would go for the extractors overall, its your best bet. I know Ive cracked the porcelain before but not bad enough to where it fell into the cylinder. I would keep a shop vac close by and get the piston top dead on that cylinder just in case. Idk, your pretty much ****ed any way you look at it just take it slow and pray to the car gods.
this post makes me wanna just leave it how it is lol...the car gods ****ing hate me
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
i run into the same issue....wouldnt it eventually grip tight enough to crack the porcelain before it got tight enough to spin the plug out?
it goes where the hex part of the plug it should go all the way down on the plug. i just dont think jb would hold it to get it out
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

The JB weld thing most likely won't work. If it did adhere to the porcelin on the plug, the torque required to start turning the plug will be greater than the force that the porcelin can take, and it'll break. Then you'll be stuck with a 7 cylinder truck.

Honestly, if it's not causing a problem, and it's your only mode of transportation right now, I'd leave it as is until you'd be able to tear it down if necessary.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by mustangman03
it goes where the hex part of the plug it should go all the way down on the plug. i just dont think jb would hold it to get it out
that part no longer exists lol

Originally Posted by Xemeth
The JB weld thing most likely won't work. If it did adhere to the porcelin on the plug, the torque required to start turning the plug will be greater than the force that the porcelin can take, and it'll break. Then you'll be stuck with a 7 cylinder truck.

Honestly, if it's not causing a problem, and it's your only mode of transportation right now, I'd leave it as is until you'd be able to tear it down if necessary.
youre probably right, dammit ...as you can see the date on the pic, i found this problem awhile ago, and ive been driving the truck how it is
Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

this idea randomly popped into my head so i posted about it before i forgot....i didnt really start thinking it through until after i made the post....i guess i wasnt factoring in that the plug is porcelain...if it was all metal, ide be in the garage trying right now, because i know that would work...im gonna go to bed, i think my brain is just out of juice...well...more than usual lol
Old 09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
that part no longer exists lol
i didnt realize that xemeth is right then good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ok...tell me if this is a dumb idea..lol spark plug