4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ok...tell me if this is a dumb idea..lol spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default ok...tell me if this is a dumb idea..lol spark plug

my truck (5.4 mod motor) has a stuck plug... looks like previous owner tried to impact it off and just destroyed the top of the plug or something...i have no idea... went to get it out and the plug well was filled with porcelain...blew it out and socket still wont go on it, its like theres no head on the plug

SO

my idea is... get a socket that fits over the top of the plug, fill the socket with jb weld, the puddy not the runny stuff, press the socket down on top of the plug....leave it there and let it dry...then spin the socket out...

would this work? i need a way to spin the plug without using a socket since theres nowhere for a socket to grab

and before anyone says that the head is probably covered with porcelain dust and i just dont see it...nope, me and a buddy checked and double checked...the head is just gone...i cant explain it...hes been a tech his whole life and he cant explain it either...

would pressing jb weld to the top of the plug, and letting it dry, actually grab the plug? ill go get a picture so i can show you what i mean
Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

thinking about it more....kinda seems like it would just break the top of the plug off...then ide really be ****ed....what do you guys think?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:57 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

wtf sticks........ I have never seen that in my life......... You could try the cubic ****ton of jb in a socket, but I think in the end you'll still have to pull the head. Then again Ive seen and done some cracked out **** like this that worked.......

It almost looks like its jb welded in too.....
Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by a_penquin

It almost looks like its jb welded in too.....
thats what people have been telling me that have seen the pic...im wondering if the truck shot a plug before, and the previous owner stuck jb weld on the plug and shoved it back in....but that doesnt make sense...and it looks too smooth and stuff to be jb welded...but hell i dont know...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

pulling the head isnt an option...this is my only running car at the moment...so im trying to work it out...the truck runs fine how it is...just bothers me that i have brand new plugs *one stage colder than stock* in 7 cylinders and one stock heat 90k mile plug in that cylinder...

the other plugs i pulled were OEM plugs, and the truck is running smoother on the 7 new plugs...so im assuming they had a lot of miles...which is why its odd that this plug is like this

the truck is under warranty...but im thinking this wouldnt be covered

the amount of porcealin in the hole is what leads me to believe its just damaged from an impact....but the top of the plug is porcelain, so if i do the jb weld socket thing i posted about, im worried i would just snap the top of the plug off and then ide really be ****ed since the truck wouldnt run on all 8 cylinders anymore

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 09-23-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
0440thgt
2nd Gear Member

Well if the truck is running okay, then I'd just leave it.

But - if there's an issue then I would definately try the JB Weld method - that stuff is awesome.

You may have to end up pulling the head anyway.

Good Luck!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by 0440thgt
Well if the truck is running okay, then I'd just leave it.

But - if there's an issue then I would definately try the JB Weld method - that stuff is awesome.

You may have to end up pulling the head anyway.

Good Luck!
is there anything i can do that would induce a plug blowout? i know these engines are prone to them...if it blows out, its warranty work lol...

the truck runs fine....i just have 7 tr6s and 1 oem plug and it drives me nuts...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

induce plug blowout....... hmmmmmm....... could drill it out and blame it on a blow
Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

I think you could try one of these to get it out http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025D4LP0/...SIN=B0025D4LP0

I have used them a good bit at work but never on a spark plug as you losen the bolt it tighten ups on the head of the bolt it also has a hex head on it so you can use a socket on it

Quick Reply: ok...tell me if this is a dumb idea..lol spark plug