4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Passing emissions with Long tubes and no cats???

Old 09-28-2009, 01:01 PM
94ponycar89

Default Passing emissions with Long tubes and no cats???

Is it possible for my 99 Gt to pass emissions with no cats and full length headers? If so how do you do it? I really don't want to spend a ton of money on a catted mid pipe. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:07 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

You will need MIL eliminators and I would take a stock cat, cut it in half, then stick those on your o/r pipe in case they do a visual inspection. If they do a sniff test, you are screwed either way. But if they just do a OBDII scan, you should be fine with the elims.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:42 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

BBP, you ever go through emissions in MD with your O/R H and pass? my emissions are coming due in february.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:20 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IRSmart
BBP, you ever go through emissions in MD with your O/R H and pass? my emissions are coming due in february.
My part of MD sniff tests, (holds vacuum up to tailpipe revs and holds steady.) so no, they never did a visual inspection when i went in but my car used to sit low.

MD is a bitch on emissions, i'm curious to see if LTs will pass in MD with a catted Mid-pipe.
if you have a reg mid-pipe just throw in a catted one, if you have your stock one its not that hard, i'm sure you can find a friend with one you can borrow.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

I am so glad I don't have to worry about vehicle inspections or emissions testing. I have never had a car inspected or had emissions testing done since I have been in the military. No matter where I get stationed at, I just keep registering my cars back home in ohio. I just send in the paperwork or renew online. I do feel sorry for you guys who have to go through it. Especially the ones with O/R pipes.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:02 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

my part of md doesn't sniff test anything with an OBD-II system in it. just turns the car on and plugs it in. but my car's exhaust reaks, which may be enough to make them look underneath the car. i'm hoping that if they do, the FLSFC block their view. if not, i'll me making a mid-pipe with 2 weld in cats to pass emissions, then just remove it.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

my part of md doesn't sniff test anything with an OBD-II system in it. just turns the car on and plugs it in. but my car's exhaust reaks, which may be enough to make them look underneath the car. i'm hoping that if they do, the FLSFC block their view. if not, i'll me making a mid-pipe with 2 weld in cats to pass emissions, then just remove it.
thats weird, im only ~1hr west of you, and i'd say you're closer to a big city, unless you consider hagerstown a big city.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

if you go through 3 times its an automatic pass. ( in maryland, its what i have to do)
Old 09-28-2009, 07:12 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

we have one right here in westminster, at the westminster airport. that's the one i normally go to, but the last time i went, my car was bone stock. now i have longtubes and an O/R H with my rear O2's turned off in the tune. as far as my OBD-II system is concerned, my exhaust is running fine.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

No, i had my emissions test right before I put my o/r pipe on, so it will still be about another 18 or so months before I have to go thru that debacle. I go to Clinton, most those guys don't care, to them it is a pay check. It is the managers that can be d's sometimes. At least, this is what I hear from others with street/strip cars. They should only be plugging in if you have OBDII, I cannot remember when that would be on the mustangs, but if they have to sniff, you probably are screwed, even with hi-flows. Best of luck either way.

This is true for me as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passing emissions with Long tubes and no cats???