4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Whats your MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Whats your MPG

i still don't get it. even stock i only got probably 21-22mpg on the highway when i'd just drive normal and no traffic. acer's car did no better before his 4.30s. i don't know.. maybe it's just the area, but i have yet to see a v8 actually get that type of mileage around where i live. heck, my mom's vette doesn't even get 22, and she drives it like a station wagon to and from work ( a whopping 12 miles round trip).
Old 07-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

do you drive smoothly? it makes a huge difference if you are able to stick to a constant speed and just motor. but if you change speed alot, and try to get around traffic, the mileage will go down.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:57 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

Hahaha, what a bunch of bsers. There's no way anyone here is averaging more than 24 mpg, sorry. I drive like a granny and get usually around 18-20 mpg per tank, but I do do mostly city driving. Even when I drive long distances on the highway - i.e. to college, which takes up more than a tank of gas - I'll get maybe 21-22 mpg, and I am very conservative with the throttle and rpms. 30 mpg??? 26 mpg?? LMAO. That's impossible. If Ford claims 24 mpg highway, which is best case scenario, how can you possible claim that kind of mileage??
Old 07-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

suck it douchebag

stock my car is rated 18/26.

my mods increase economy.

a rating is just a rating, it does not represent absolutes, nor does it represent best case.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Monch

suck it douchebag

stock my car is rated 18/26.

my mods increase economy.

a rating is just a rating, it does not represent absolutes, nor does it represent best case.

Bwahahahaahahah!!!! +1 for you.

I have nothing to lie about or any reason to try impressing anyone with my MPG. Skip shifting and getting your car into 5th gear with using little throttle as possible is the key. It ain't all that hard, maybe some of you would be better off riding a moped to learn how to gain some MPG'S?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:47 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i thoguht the 99+ stangs were rated 18/24? oh well. i still don't get it.. i drive like a granny sometimes to see what i can get out of the stang. even my v6 didn't get that type of mileage.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

manual tranny was 18/26
auto was 18/24

thats what was on the windows of the 2003 gt's in california anyway. maybe its different in other parts of the country, though it wouldn't make sense.

edit, auto rating & link.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=11407
Old 07-15-2005, 10:40 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

I got a stock GT and i get about 17-19mph but i only drive a few miles at a time.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:46 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

If you are not getting aprox 22 city and 26 highway then there is either something less fuel efficient on your GT - and/or - you are a less fuel efficient driver. The MPG topic is almost exactly like the quarter mile topic except I haven't read any ET threads where folks end up calling people liars if they got good quarter mile times. Quarter mile times vary with engine mods and traction but who could doubt tha the driver makes so much difference? I haven't done any quarter mile times but I suspect that I need lots of pratice and probably would do poorly until I've had some hook-up and practice. Some other dude in my car would do really well.

Assuming you have an efficient GT (normal mods, no health probs) and you are still getting sucky mileage then the driver is the reason. Can't blame it on the solar eclipse or on a driver who gets great MPG. Keep in mind, most people who suck don't know that they suck. When's the last time you saw somebody just stand up and say, you know what, I suck? Everybody thinks that they are a good driver. It just happens to be true in my case!

Hook real time data logging up to my ODBII and graph the TPS/RPM results compared to somebody who is getting sucky mileage. My TPS (throttle) will be so incredibly calm. I took a long trip with a friend a couple weeks ago in his car. Couldn't believe how much he was from throttle/brake, couldn't decide which lane, zero predictive capabilities. That burns tons of fuel, even in a GM 3400 v6.

By the way. Just because you are getting low MPG doesn't mean that you suck overall. Maybe that's how you like to drive. That's probably why you bought a GT in the first place was to feel the power and smell the smoke. So I'm not saying anybody should do anything any different except maybe stop calling folks liars.

Have a nice day.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:56 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Added my mileage to my sig just to rub it in!

Quick Reply: Whats your MPG