4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tire blew out? What is this garbage?

Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Yeah but we aren't allowed back in the garage for insurance reasons. Plus, if you tell them that, I would think they'd want to do something bad to your car (kind of like telling McDonalds to re-cook your burger)
i don't give two $hits about some insurance rule. i heard them do it, i went outside and went in the garage to figure out why my car was being revved to 5k for an alignment.

they would be dumb as hell if they did anything to your car. thats a nice little lawsuit waiting to happen.

if you go through this world with that soft mentality, you WILL get burned.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:55 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
i don't give two $hits about some insurance rule. i heard them do it, i went outside and went in the garage to figure out why my car was being revved to 5k for an alignment.

they would be dumb as hell if they did anything to your car. thats a nice little lawsuit waiting to happen.

if you go through this world with that soft mentality, you WILL get burned.
Im with you all the way, but i dont think a lawsuit will happen over someone revving up your car
Old 10-02-2009, 01:07 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Sorry, not reading the whole thing. But it does vary state to state. In MD, we usually do not allow a car to drive out of our shop with a driveability issue. If you come in for an estimate and your airbags are blown and the nose is torn off the car, you probably aren't driving out of here. We do, however, put on your repair ticket or another form that you are aware of the issue, that it isn't safe to drive, that we recommend you not take the care, but that you are taking it anyway and you release our shop from all liability. We had a nightmare case with this, a kid is driving on 3 bald tires, they all look ready to fail and one, his fourth, had. He brought it in, we tell him, don't take it, you need 3 more right NOW! Well, he can't afford it, blah blah blah. He signs the waiver, drives out, doesn't get 5 miles away and his tire explodes doing 65mph, rips the fender right off his car, so now, he doesn't just need 3 tires, but some major repair work as well.

If they are insistent on you not taking the car, and you think they are going to gouge you in the price, go buy your own tire and have them install that. or just have them stick the doughnut on. If they give you flack, tell them you are going to call the state troopers and ask if what they are doing is legal. That way if they are trying to rape you, the fact that you may be trying to get the police involved could scare them straight.

Also, with it being low on air, you may have damaged the sidewall of the tire from running it low. They should have known that, but being it is a stang, that is probably why they said burnouts. I would recommend you get a new tire and just be done with it. It isn't safe to drive, they have that much correct. The only issue is if they can legally hold your car.

A note of knowledge, whenever your car starts to pull like that, check your tires first. That is the first indication that your tire pressure is low. I have a left front that I guess just has real slow leak in it. I have to put air in it about every other week, but that is how I know it is going down is the car starts pulling left.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by Brute03
i'm confused
Tire rotation, at some point your rears will come up front. That is, if you do a rotation. Naturally, some don't because of staggered sizes and such.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
Tire rotation, at some point your rears will come up front. That is, if you do a rotation. Naturally, some don't because of staggered sizes and such.
ahhh it makes sense now. so they found rubber in the tire itself, i thought he meant in the wheel well.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avlon06
Im with you all the way, but i dont think a lawsuit will happen over someone revving up your car
dude its more of a scare tactic. a lawsuit would cost him, as well as me, money that neither of us wants to spend. he abused my property and i wasn't happy. everytime I go somewhere something similar happens with an asshat in my car. if i could accurately do my own alignments, i would never have to take my car to a shop.

OP: you got a little taste of bad luck. i've had my fair share lately. happens to everyone.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Driving with the tire low on air causes way too much sidewall flex and thats what caused the rubber to wear off the inside sides of the tire.. definatly would have been dangerous to drive on it after this happened.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yes andy is right that does happen a lot.Most places don't use a plug anymore its a patch they put on the inside.Only good tire insurance i have seen is sams club.The bfg i have on my truck one tire got a rock massage and tore a hole in the side wall.The tires where 3 years old sams said they can replace it but i pay the difference in treat wear.So one new tire cost me 12 bucks no joke.If that saleen was my car that mechanic would be a missing person.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:05 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Yes andy is right that does happen a lot.Most places don't use a plug anymore its a patch they put on the inside.Only good tire insurance i have seen is sams club.The bfg i have on my truck one tire got a rock massage and tore a hole in the side wall.The tires where 3 years old sams said they can replace it but i pay the difference in treat wear.So one new tire cost me 12 bucks no joke.If that saleen was my car that mechanic would be a missing person.
Yep and youd be in jail. Thats smart. Not to mention if you read through the whole post you would have seen that he made like 20k over what the car was worth. If I could get that type of cash Id let any ******* mechanic wreck my car any day.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
OT here, but check out ***THIS*** story of a guy messing around in a customers ride
Which is why my car is insured for 40k.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire blew out? What is this garbage?