4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Questions about a Mark VIII Engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
DIY
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for taking the time to share that info. It will definitely be put to use. I hope all goes well with your swap.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DIY
Thanks for taking the time to share that info. It will definitely be put to use. I hope all goes well with your swap.
No problem. I will also give you another application where it's incredibly useful. It's height is a disadvantage, but it's also an advantage. I used it to lift the body of a 98 Cadillac Seville up to about 5 feet in order to drop the engine cradle out the bottom. Just unbolted subframe and lifted the body off the frame, then set it back down when I reinstalled.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:46 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Ok, junkyard trip was successful. Found a 97 LSC with it's motor intact. Took me alot longer than I expected, but I got it pulled in about 5 hours with my Dad's help. Next stage is going to be switching the wiring harness over, switching the oil pan/pickup tube over, flywheel and clutch.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Status update. I have swapped the oil pan and pickup tube over, had to repaint my GT pan due to scrapes. I have the upper wiring harness lengthened and installed save for the second coolant sensor, I am still trying to figure out where the heck it is on the new motor. The flywheel is swapped over as well. I had to rebuild my motor mounts and they will be installed shortly along with the lower wiring harness.

Items that are still need to be done:

New clutch is required as my old disc is down to about 25%
Fuel lines need to be changed over to the Mark VIII ones.
Throttle cable
Exhaust manifold
Vacuum hose routing.
Reinstall.

If my freaking posting rights would come through on Corral, I could get alot of parts that I need for it. As it stands I have waited for four damn days and I still haven't been approved. Bout ready to just pay a little extra and order the **** I need from retail.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:25 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Both Coolant sensors should be on the coolant crossover tube.
If I remember when I signed at the coral it toke a few days. But the Idiot to Knowledge factor is great over there compared to MF. MF 90% idiot 10% knowledge
Coral 90% knowledge 10% idiot
Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Both Coolant sensors should be on the coolant crossover tube.
If I remember when I signed at the coral it toke a few days. But the Idiot to Knowledge factor is great over there compared to MF. MF 90% idiot 10% knowledge
Coral 90% knowledge 10% idiot
Only one is in the cross over tube. I may wind up having to thread my GT one in somewhere.

Been 5 days now and I still can't post. Dunno what gives. I mainly want to get on the classifieds there, I found some cobra manifolds, but I can't contact. Either way, I should have this sucker running by next weekend.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

yeah it takes a couple days to get privileges on corral. where in dfw are u? im about 25 minutes east of dallas in forney. im going to do a 5.4 swap and have no experience so i figured if u need some help or something u can send me a pm. i can get some experience doing a swap and u can get some help lol. just send me a pm if ur interested and we can talk about it.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
Only one is in the cross over tube. I may wind up having to thread my GT one in somewhere.

Been 5 days now and I still can't post. Dunno what gives. I mainly want to get on the classifieds there, I found some cobra manifolds, but I can't contact. Either way, I should have this sucker running by next weekend.
93-96 mark 8s have the coolant temp sensor in the passanger side of the crossover tube and the drivers side houses the fan temp sensor, 97 and 98's are no diffrent.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by liljojo4711
yeah it takes a couple days to get privileges on corral. where in dfw are u? im about 25 minutes east of dallas in forney. im going to do a 5.4 swap and have no experience so i figured if u need some help or something u can send me a pm. i can get some experience doing a swap and u can get some help lol. just send me a pm if ur interested and we can talk about it.
Yeah, I know where Forney is, I am over in Kaufman. Right now I am just piecing the new engine together, but if I need some help, I will shoot you a PM. If you need some help with the 5.4 swap, I might be able to help you out.

Originally Posted by jrherald420
93-96 mark 8s have the coolant temp sensor in the passanger side of the crossover tube and the drivers side houses the fan temp sensor, 97 and 98's are no diffrent.
Not in this motor, I dunno what gives, but there is nothing in the coolant crossover tube on this 97 motor. I will check my sister's 96 Mark and see if it's there. There is a 3 wire plug that goes under the intake on the back of the motor, but I am not sure what it is, I guess it could be a coolant sensor.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

i know for a fact the 93-96's have it in the crossover tube, i just replaced mine last sunday in my 95 mark 8. i checked All-data (an auto repair site that alot of shops use, lol thanks college!!) and the wiring diragrams show the 1997 mark 8 as having the sensors in the crossover tube.

Quick Reply: Questions about a Mark VIII Engine swap.