MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Fuel/Air Engine Light After Clutch Job (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/566652-fuel-air-engine-light-after-clutch-job.html)

Bravado 10-06-2009 12:26 AM

Fuel/Air Engine Light After Clutch Job

Howdy all, my first post so sorry if I ham it up.

I recently had my clutch worked on (pressure plate, TB, PB, and flywheel resurfaced) and almost right after my check engine light came on signaling bad fuel/air mixture. My question is whether or not this kind of error makes sense after the work done. The mechanics commented that the transmission was a PITA to remove, so I'm curious if some excessive force may have loosened any vacuum hoses or if something more serious is going on. I replaced my air filter on a recommendation by a parts store attendant (wasted effort and $$ I think) and the problem is still there. Also, are there any other vacuum hoses other than the ones on the top of the engine?

Also the new clutch feels very weak; i.e. easy to depress. Seems to grip just fine, but was used to old clutch that was quite the bear. A note though, my old TB was practically in pieces when they changed it out...so maybe that made it harder to depress. Thanks in advance!

Sxynerd 10-06-2009 12:41 AM

Welcome to the site. Did you forget to reconnect one of your O2 sensors?

Bravado 10-06-2009 12:42 AM

I know the one right behind the airbox is plugged in, where is the other(s)?

Bravado 10-06-2009 12:47 AM

Sorry, should do a bit of research before I reply. The other is on the exhaust manifold, so I'll need to jack the car up, yes?

Sxynerd 10-06-2009 12:57 AM

Yes there are 4 O2 sensors. Two up stream near the exhaust manifolds and two down stream near the center of the transmission. Yes, You'll need to jack up the car.

Make sure your Maf and air horn assembly were reconnected properly. Do you know what the code number was exactly?

Bravado 10-06-2009 01:00 AM

No, that friendly attendant unplugged the reader right after diagnosis. Thanks for the help, I'll be up at 8am to get it off the ground and inspected. Back with details after that.

Bravado 10-06-2009 12:04 PM

Both downstream sensors appear intact and plugged in. I think I'll try and get the actual error code this time and see if that gets me anywhere.

Hangwire 10-06-2009 12:56 PM

Exhaust leak?

Bravado 10-06-2009 05:05 PM

Got the code from AutoZone, I'll post it pretty much verbatim.

P1131
Lack of bank 1 02 transitions- lean
Explanation
ECM detected bank 1 02 at its lean limit
Probable cause
1.- Misfire on bank 1
2.- Vacuum leak affecting bank 1 only
3.- Fuel injector problem bank 1
4.- Engine mechanical condition

Taking it back to the shop tomorrow to see if they can figure out what happened. Could it still be the MAF sensor? Or probably something else?

Bravado 10-06-2009 05:06 PM

Deleted double post