4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Wheel Bearing Load??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here is a photo of a new rear caliper, in the back you can see the "screw-in" piston insert that is the parking brake adjuster.

If you did not use the special tool to screw it in all the way when you changed the rear pads then there is your problem...
Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 PM
bhsballer76
2nd Gear Member

Your right. I did not use the special tool.. I did screw it as i pushed it in because it had to be done for the pads to even fit in the caliper when it was placed on the disk.

I guess there is no way for me to know if i got it all the way in..

I do not i had a hell of a time getting the rear's done b/c i struggled to get the pistons backed in all the way..

Maybe i should get this tool and redo the the rears?? Making sure i get the pistons all the way in??

Where can i get the tool?? I tried all the local autoshops but none of them had it so i had to improvise.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bhsballer76
Your right. I did not use the special tool.. I did screw it as i pushed it in because it had to be done for the pads to even fit in the caliper when it was placed on the disk.

I guess there is no way for me to know if i got it all the way in..

I do not i had a hell of a time getting the rear's done b/c i struggled to get the pistons backed in all the way..

Maybe i should get this tool and redo the the rears?? Making sure i get the pistons all the way in??

Where can i get the tool?? I tried all the local autoshops but none of them had it so i had to improvise.

Thanks for the info.
Resetting the parking brake adjusters is a separate procedure from pushing the pistons back in--it requires that you have a tool to engage the V-shaped slots in the pistion, and then screw the p-brake adjusters back into the piston.

Any FLAPS should have the tool, here's one at Autozone...
Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 PM
bhsballer76
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Resetting the parking brake adjusters is a separate procedure from pushing the pistons back in--it requires that you have a tool to engage the V-shaped slots in the pistion, and then screw the p-brake adjusters back into the piston.

Any FLAPS should have the tool, here's one at Autozone...

alright. i remember the piston having to be screwed and pushed back in... Your saying this is seperate from the parking brake??

I guess im a little confused...

Are the parking brake adjusters on both rear calipers or only 1?

Do you adjust by simply screwing and compressing to thier minimum??
Old 10-10-2009, 01:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bhsballer76
alright. i remember the piston having to be screwed and pushed back in... Your saying this is seperate from the parking brake??

I guess im a little confused...

Are the parking brake adjusters on both rear calipers or only 1?

Do you adjust by simply screwing and compressing to thier minimum??
It (the screw adjuster in the piston) is not separate from the parking brake, it is the automatic adjuster for the parking brake--and when you change the pads in the rear (both sides) they need to be reset by screwing them back into the pistons as far as they can go.

If you did not use the 6-way tool linked to above, or something similar, then you did not screw the parking brake adjusters back in--it's that simple...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 PM
bhsballer76
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It (the screw adjuster in the piston) is not separate from the parking brake, it is the automatic adjuster for the parking brake--and when you change the pads in the rear (both sides) they need to be reset by screwing them back into the pistons as far as they can go.

If you did not use the 6-way tool linked to above, or something similar, then you did not screw the parking brake adjusters back in--it's that simple...
alright,well i went to the local advance auto parts and they i bought what was supposed to be the right tool..

It didnt work AT ALL...so i took it back and improvised. I did screw the adjuster back in but i dont know that i got it screwed in all the way..

Guess the only thing to do is pull them off and try again...maybe i can get the right tool this time.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As long as you got it in far enough that the back brakes don't drag you'll be OK...