4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

"Spongy" Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Most cars with a hydroboost feel this way. You can usually come to a complete stop just fine, and still push the pedal most of the way to the floor when completely stopped. It's a pain in the *** when trying to bleed the brakes after changing a line or something, cause it's really tough to tell when they're actually bled, since the pedal never really feels firm.

I actually just replaced every brake line on a 2500 GMC Sierra with a hydroboost. Not looking forward to bleeding them tommorow.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

So did my '97 GT have Hydoboost on it?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

All 96-04 V8 (2v or 4v) had a hydroboost.

On a side note, I finished all those lines I was talking about. It took 45 minutes to bleed them, but I'm glad it's done.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by trickdriller
So did my '97 GT have Hydoboost on it?
Yup, all the 4.6L models from '96 through '04 had the Hydroboost power brakes--the 4.6L is so much wider than the 5.0L that there was no room for a vacuum booster.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Have yall tried steel braided brake lines? I know my stock brakes did that but since i went to the Roush/Alcon setup, havnt really have a problem with it. Yes, i can still stop then push the pedal down alittle more, but when trying to come to a stop the brakes are alot firmer now. And no wooshing noise either. (that i noticed)
Might be something for yall to look into?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sounds like you just need to FLUSH the braking system. Wifes escape was doing the same thing (06) flushed the lines and the squeak/spongyness went away.

Keep in mind that brake fluid loves water so it will absorb it whenver you have that cap open. You also need to keep in mind that brake fluid has a recommended change interval of 3yr/36K. most people don't ever flush their brake fluid.

Like any other fluid in your car, it requires ocassional swapping.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:37 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

i don't understand why everyone is having trouble bleeding their hydroboost brakes. if you have a partner helping out its fast as hell. i recently did it with my buddy and we had no problems at all and it was a quick job.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
i don't understand why everyone is having trouble bleeding their hydroboost brakes. if you have a partner helping out its fast as hell. i recently did it with my buddy and we had no problems at all and it was a quick job.
I didn't have any trouble (using a vacuum bleeding device and extended reservoir), it's just that you can bleed them 'til the cows come home and they'll still feel spongy when stopped with the engine running--as compared to a vacuum actuated or manual braking system...
Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Ok, so to bleed the brakes, I put that little hose on there to direct the fluid and open the valve. Then once it's done, close it, pump the brakes 'till it's too stiff to pump anymore, get out and bleed the valve again. Repeat until no fluid comes out?

That's what I remember. Is that right?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:07 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I didn't have any trouble (using a vacuum bleeding device and extended reservoir), it's just that you can bleed them 'til the cows come home and they'll still feel spongy when stopped with the engine running--as compared to a vacuum actuated or manual braking system...
I don't remember what my stock brakes were like - but I've got the cobra brakes on it now. After I did the swap (and after any brake work) they are soft and spongy as hell for a while - it's almost so bad it's scary, but all the stopping power is there.

After a couple of weeks, they stiffened up over time and are nice and solid now. No wooshing noise either. I always get a kick out of it when someone who hasn't driven my car hits the brakes for the first time, they tap it and it stops fast, that surprises them so they let off, their instinct tells them to press it again and it applies more force than they're expecting, and they let off, then repeat about 3-4 times... Makes me think everyone's got shaky feet hahah

It's happened again after changing pads too (I bled the old fluid out instead of pushing it back up into the system - came out dark. I beat the hell out of these things ), so it's "normal."

Quick Reply: "Spongy" Brakes?