4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What's Stock? What's not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:52 PM
rifeman

Default What's Stock? What's not?

How can I tell what parts are stock on my car and which aren't? I know the the headers aren't stock(but I can't figure out what brand they are), but I suspect that my cats aren't stock either? How can I know for sure? Also, how do I determine which touch up paint I need...I think I read once that the paint code is printed inside the drivers door or frame, but I've never been able to find it. My car is white, but I doubt there's only one color white for type of car, right?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What's Stock? What's not?

well, to find the paint I recommend paintscratch.com

as far as the other mods, I don't really know.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:16 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

The mods should have ingravements somewhere if they aren't stock. Chances are that if the cats aren't stock then your mid pipe isn't either. If you have a x pipe it's definetally not stock, if its a new h pipe then it's probally not stock. And if you see wleds around the cats themselfs then the guy before you was a cheap idiot and put in new cats on the stock h pipe.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:22 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rifeman

How can I tell what parts are stock on my car and which aren't? I know the the headers aren't stock(but I can't figure out what brand they are), but I suspect that my cats aren't stock either? How can I know for sure? Also, how do I determine which touch up paint I need...I think I read once that the paint code is printed inside the drivers door or frame, but I've never been able to find it. My car is white, but I doubt there's only one color white for type of car, right?
your right about white. white is the absolute hardest color in the world to match. i would also recomend going to paintscratch.com or going to the ford dealer and asking for the code.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:54 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

In 97 the white was a Crystal White, the paint code is ZR
Old 07-14-2005, 06:57 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

what about '96 and '98
Old 07-14-2005, 07:29 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

94-99 had the Crystal White. Next closest is a opal frost 94-96, paint code WJ, looks like a light silver
Old 07-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rifeman

until recently there were only 2 makes for shorty headers for the 4.6, jba and ford racing. the jba's can be identified because there's a small oval shaped "label" welded to one side visible (barely) from the engine bay. it'll say C.A.R.B. legal or certified or something. if you don't see that, and are sure they are aftermarket, they you have the ford headers. also, the jba headers look a lot nicer than the ford part, which are glorified stock pieces as far as i'm concerned.

if you have 6 cats, you have the stock mid-pipe. with or without aftermarket cats wouldn't make a difference, its a pos. if you have 2 cats, you have an aftermarket pipe.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

The paint color of a car is in it's vin number dudes
Old 07-15-2005, 12:45 AM
rifeman

Thanks for the feedback guys