4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gauges resetting with every start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

Default Gauges resetting with every start

For some reason for about a week now my gauges have been resetting (going to max then returning to zero before working) every time the car starts. What could be the reason for that?

I feel like it might be a sign that my battery is getting ready to give out on me.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

the car is losing either power or ground and the system is resetting itself every time. could be a battery
Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

start looking into a new battery.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

That sucks. It's cranking over just fine and never hesitates, but I don't doubt its the battery going out on me. Thanks for the help guys.

Any more thoughts are still welcome...
Old 10-17-2009, 09:43 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

That happens to my car everytime I reconnect the battery after having it disconnected when I go on vacation or when I am doing something and disconnect the battery for a few minutes

Does it for a few starts and then goes back to normal
Old 10-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

i have the same exact problem with my car. used to just do it every once in a while but now it does it everytime i start it, but i know my battery is going out but im too broke to buy a new one.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:38 PM
ridethemustanggt
1st Gear Member

That happened to me last time right before my battery went out in my last stang. Its starting to happen again this year ever since it started getting cold so I think this one is about to go too.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eduardo
i have the same exact problem with my car. used to just do it every once in a while but now it does it everytime i start it, but i know my battery is going out but im too broke to buy a new one.
autozone sells used batteries for like $15 bucks i believe. or at least they used to
Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Check fuse #21 (5A) under the dash. It powers the instrument cluster and the PCM's memory, the car will start and run fine if it's blown however the cluster will reset each time you start as you describe.

It's being blown will also reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) each time you shut the car off for more than 5 minutes. This leaves the PCM pretty much in a permanent learning mode (idle air, fuel trims, etc.) each time you drive it. This mostly affects precise tuning of AFR and fuel economy--you'd also fail emissions testing in those states that look for the OBD2 "system ready/tests complete" flag.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Check fuse #21 (5A) under the dash. It powers the instrument cluster and the PCM's memory, the car will start and run fine if it's blown however the cluster will reset each time you start as you describe.

It's being blown will also reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) each time you shut the car off for more than 5 minutes. This leaves the PCM pretty much in a permanent learning mode (idle air, fuel trims, etc.) each time you drive it. This mostly affects precise tuning of AFR and fuel economy--you'd also fail emissions testing in those states that look for the OBD2 "system ready/tests complete" flag.
Interesting - I will have to check mine as I have this same problem but already replace my battery and alt but still have the problem on every start.

Quick Reply: Gauges resetting with every start