4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ticking 4.6 please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Default ticking 4.6 please help!

Hey guys,

I have a 2002 Ford Expedition. It was making the dreaded timing guide noise. Just that, it was not making any other noises. Not a problem. I took the timing cover off. Both tensioners and the guides (all 4) were pretty messed up. Chain had eaten through them. No big deal. I replaced the tensioners and all 4 guides. Though everything was in the clear.

Put it all back together, and right on start up it was ticking. It sounds like it is in the valve train. I was like what the heck? It is considerably loud, actually it sounds like a diesel. The sound increases and decreases with the engine rpm. I am positive the timing chain didnt skip a tooth. It has all new parts, a this is new. Oil was changed, and I am just bummin right now.

Can you guys think of anything?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMOEfjQUwyY

Here is the video.......anything will be helpful.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Are you reading low oil pressure? If so, you might have a spun bearing.

Or even worse, a wrist pin gone bad.

My .02 cents.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

The oil pressure is fine. It never made this noise ever. I wouldn't think that replacing the tensioners and guides would effect anything else. It was fine before I took it apart, replaced the parts and now it is doing this.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 PM
JUSTA6
2nd Gear Member

sorry to tell ya this bro but that aint nothing timing chaing tensions can fix. that sounds like a ROD KNOCK
Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Rod knocking or a broken piston. That is WAY louder than a valve train knock. Listen here for a valve train knock. Around 22 seconds.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=SDC13229.flv
Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 PM
96MysticJC
1st Gear Member

Does the sound ever go away??? If it eventually goes away or softens down it could be your catyillac coverter... Mine just went on my denali and it sounded like a real bad rod knock just like that, but then it would get quieter as i drove it more... Just suggestion....
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96MysticJC
Does the sound ever go away??? If it eventually goes away or softens down it could be your catyillac coverter... Mine just went on my denali and it sounded like a real bad rod knock just like that, but then it would get quieter as i drove it more... Just suggestion....
The sound hasnt gone away. However, it is getting quieter. That is kinda nice. I think when I removed the tensioner the oil pressure dropped in the the lifters. I know they aren't technically lifters, but.......

I know for a fact it is in the valvetrain.

I am going to drop some straight 40 weight in her and see what happens.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSKiller
The sound hasnt gone away. However, it is getting quieter. That is kinda nice. I think when I removed the tensioner the oil pressure dropped in the the lifters. I know they aren't technically lifters, but.......

I know for a fact it is in the valvetrain.

I am going to drop some straight 40 weight in her and see what happens.
How do you know for a fact? My knock up there is a lash adjuster that's bad. A high pitched, fast paced knock. Those tensioners don't hold oil pressure, oil flows through them to pump em up, then once you kill the engine, they bleed down. I have changed enough of them and watched them in action enough to know that.

I would put good money on it being anything other than a valve train knock.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Well guys....................

It wasn't a rod knock, nor the lash adjuster........

I was the timing chains themselves. They were streched and the slapping themselves. Problem fixed, thank God.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:39 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

wow lucky glad you fixed it.

Quick Reply: ticking 4.6 please help!