4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Not using all the boost I have............ :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

And just to add to your post Hangwire (just in case the OP still doesn't understand). With the second picture, because of the less restrictive airflow, the boost guage would be reading less than in the first picture do to less restriction. Hence why you thought you would be at 10PSI but were only reading 7-8PSI.

Good pictures by the way Hangwire lol
Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire

that'll get the point across lol
Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

OP apparantly does not grasp the concept of CFMs lol
Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
brick wall
^ Funny

Dude, first of all, figure out what size pulley you have. You are taking too literal of an interpretation of the pulley size. It may say 10lb but depending on the configuration that "10 lb" pulley may or may not get you 10 lbs of boost. You need to get the actual size (in inches) and compare it to people with similar setups to see if you should have more boost than you actually show.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:22 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
OK heres my epic paint.exe work.

What were gonna do here is make a comparison between blowing air through a straw, and blowing air through a sewer pipe

Lets assume the "fan" is a small basic computer fan. Lets also assume that this is a magic world where the air has no choice but to go through the straw to get to the other side, it can't go around(humor me). Were also going to assume that it is the same fan running at the same speed in both pictures.

As you can see in the following picture there is quite a bit of air flowing through the straw. Based on the diameter of the straw we can safely assume that there is probably alot of pressure(restriction) in that straw while the air is being forced through because the straw can not flow as much air through itself as is being forced in by the fan. This is what creates PSI(Pounds per square inch). Which means if we were to tap off that straw and run a boost gauge we would see positive boost(pressure/restriction)coming from within the straw.

HOWEVER, as we can see in this picture.....the sewer pipe flows much easier because there is far more room inside the pipe that allows it to keep up with the amount of air that the fan is blowing. In this case your engine is more like the sewer pipe because you have LT headers, allowing your engine to flow more air because there is more room inside your LT headers making it less restrictive. Note that both pictures are flowing the same amount of air(hypothetically) just at a different pace. If we were to line up 5 industrial sized shop fans and start blowing air into that sewer pipe then we would begin to see restriction assuming that the 5 fans are capable of blowing more air than the pipe can flow.

Enjoy! Oh and wheres my contributor status?
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

It makes crystal clear sense now and thank you so much. God bless you Hangwire. As for Sexy Nerd, remember that at one point and time like it was said earlier you were a noob too. I was never claiming to be a pro and if it bothers you so much to answer some questions then simply don't respond. I'm not forcing anyone to respond. Just asking anyone kind enough to share with me their knowledge on the subject matter. I'll bet if I tried to teach you something about something I knew well there would be a point were you didn't understand and it would only be right for me to attempt to teach you the right way. Not everyone catches everything the first time which is why I always thank everyone for taking time out to answer any of my questions. I still thank you Sexy Nerd for your information but just remember that you started somewhere too.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

It makes crystal clear sense now and thank you so much. God bless you Hangwire. As for Sexy Nerd, remember that at one point and time like it was said earlier you were a noob too. I was never claiming to be a pro and if it bothers you so much to answer some questions then simply don't respond. I'm not forcing anyone to respond. Just asking anyone kind enough to share with me their knowledge on the subject matter. I'll bet if I tried to teach you something about something I knew well there would be a point were you didn't understand and it would only be right for me to attempt to teach you the right way. Not everyone catches everything the first time which is why I always thank everyone for taking time out to answer any of my questions. I still thank you Sexy Nerd for your information but just remember that you started somewhere too.
Heh... I think the easiest way to demonstrate the difference is this way....

Make as small of a hole with your mouth as you can... Take a DEEP BREATH! and blow as hard as you can... Your cheeks should bulge up and you will feel the pressure... Now take that SAME DEEP BREATH, open your mouth as wide as you can and blow as hard as you can... no pressure... but the same amount of air was moved. PSI is a rating of pressure. Pounds per square inch. Bigger hole, same air, less pressure.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

With all of the discussion about pulley size I decided to call ProCharger. They told me that the same pulley on different cars will result in slightly different results. For example, my ProCharger shipped with a 3.7" pulley. It produces 8.9 lbs of boost after the intercooler. They said that was on the high side so basically the 3.7" pulley normally produces 8 lbs of boost. They also told me that for each 1/10th of an inch smaller pulley boost goes up approximately 1 lb. Other pulley sizes for the P-1SC are 3.6", 3.5", 3.4", 3.2", and 3.0". On my car a 3.0" pulley would produce approximatley 16 lbs at 6000 rpms. The 3.4" pulley would be around 12 lbs.

If you are only producing 7-8 lbs and you want 10 lbs of boost then you need to get a pulley that is 2/10" smaller than the one you have now.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 AM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
With all of the discussion about pulley size I decided to call ProCharger. They told me that the same pulley on different cars will result in slightly different results. For example, my ProCharger shipped with a 3.7" pulley. It produces 8.9 lbs of boost after the intercooler. They said that was on the high side so basically the 3.7" pulley normally produces 8 lbs of boost. They also told me that for each 1/10th of an inch smaller pulley boost goes up approximately 1 lb. Other pulley sizes for the P-1SC are 3.6", 3.5", 3.4", 3.2", and 3.0". On my car a 3.0" pulley would produce approximatley 16 lbs at 6000 rpms. The 3.4" pulley would be around 12 lbs.

If you are only producing 7-8 lbs and you want 10 lbs of boost then you need to get a pulley that is 2/10" smaller than the one you have now.
I discovered that I'm running on a 3.85 pulley. Am I getting the amount of boost that I'm supposed to get?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Yes. It sounds like your car is responding the the supercharger about the same as mine. If a 3.7" pulley is 8-9 lbs (through BBK LTs with catted x-pipe) then 3.85" would be 1-1.5 lbs less or about 7-8 lb. For that pulley size everything appears normal including your 350 rwhp. If you want to get closer to 400 rwhp you'll need to go to a smaller pulley.

I have also come to believe that LTs through a catted x-pipe is a waste of money. I saw no drop in supercharger pressure or any increase in horsepower when I had them installed. The restriction (which I assume is the cats) is still there. Next year I might go to a 3.5" pulley and o/r x-pipe. I don't know. But its a thought.

Last edited by Eagle2000GT; 10-28-2009 at 08:53 AM.