4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 Gt shuts off when put in park

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
bessemerengine

Default 96 Gt shuts off when put in park

My daughters car is shutting off when placed in park or when the air conditioner is turned off. Otherwise it runs and drives normal. Car is stock except for 3.73 gears and 18" Cobra wheels. Full throttle acceleration is good so I don't think it is a fuel delivery issue. I understand there is an idle air valve on these cars but I don't understand the connection to being placed in Park. Any ideas?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
bucknbass

I've got the exact same problem with my recently purchased 96 GT! It's driving me crazy and I would love to find the answer. A couple of people on the site said maybe a vacuum leak but that's just a guess on their part.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
bessemerengine

I would think a vacuum leak would cause the car to act up in gear as well. I am leaning towards the idle air valve but not confident enough to run out and buy one until I get some other feedback. It would be affected by turning off the A/C but I don't know what placing the transmission in park would do. The transmission is controlled by the ECU as well so who knows what magic goes on inside there. I guess I will hope someone on here on a definitive answer, I hate shot gunning parts at a problem..
Old 10-30-2009, 09:30 PM
bucknbass

If 2 of us are experiencing this problem surely someone else has and has fixed it!

Anyone with an idea?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:39 PM
BriansNSane
1st Gear Member

How are you starting the vehicle? Placing it in neutral? How exactly does it shut off with the AC turned off? A little clarification and I may be able to help you.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 AM
bucknbass

I'm not using the AC in my car. I start in park as one would expect and the car runs great. Idles up for a minute when cold then comes down to normal RPMs. I drive for a while and get to operating temps and then stop. When I stop and shift into park, to park, it shuts down as if I turned the key off - which I didn't.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:55 PM
bessemerengine

Anytime the car is running at idle and you turn the A/C off the car will just shut off. If you are above idle once the car slow down to near idle it shuts off. Happens everytime you put the car in Park regardless of how the A/C is set. Runs fine the rest of the time.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:10 PM
BriansNSane
1st Gear Member

I just noticed you posted while I was replying lol.This is intended for bucknbass,it is my belief that you 2 have very different problems.How does it react after that happen's?,What I mean is Can you start it right back up and it will idle fine till you drive it and then as soon as you put it back in park it dies? Or does it not want to start at all after that happens? I'm trying to determine if it happen's when you take it out of park and put it back or if the engine reaching operating temperature plays a factor because it might not.These things are all about troubleshooting and narrowing down the variables.Depending on further symptoms I am leaning towards maybe a stopped up cat or neutral safety switch but I can't recall if ford used those in your year models or not. If someone else has an opinion maybe they can chime in and help these 2 out.

Last edited by BriansNSane; 10-31-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:26 PM
BriansNSane
1st Gear Member

OK Besse your situation is extremely odd Usually people have problems with their cars shutting off when they turn the a/c on lol and in that case like you stated earlier it's usually the valve.U may very well have a probelm with a stopped cat/neutral safety as well, but It's my belief that your a/c isn't linked to it.I think it's another problem all together. Same questions as bucknbass,Can you start it right back up and run fine till you put in park?Can you tell us how the symptoms all started and unfolded?

Last edited by BriansNSane; 10-31-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:15 PM
bucknbass

Brian - yes, I can start it right back up but I'm finding that it's idling a bit rough now and I just got codes P1131 & P1151???

Last edited by bucknbass; 10-31-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 Gt shuts off when put in park