4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I think in the owners manual for our cars it says that it's normal to consume a certain amount within a mileage interval I think 1 qt. but I can't remember the mileage.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
To put your mind at ease, the 2003 GT I had for a brief period consumed oil like a wild banshee. Like the Ford tech you spoke to, I too thought it was normal. I guess it depends on how the car rolled off the line. The one I had made some very noticeable metallic sounds from the engine bay at idle. It wasn't from abuse, just a lemon I'm guessing...
Either way oil is going somewhere and should be fixed. Providing a rear main seal leak and it is blowing out the exhaust.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mike08
My car is going through oil between changes like crazy. I talked to a Ford tech and he said that it was normal for the 4.6 and 5.4 to go through 2-3 quarts between oil changes. Does this sound right? Is it burning or where else would it be going?
Per new car manufactures, including Ford, 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles is considered normal, as the technician advised you. Now whether you like that or not, that's another matter. lol

Keep in mind that vehicles need maintaining and checking the oil level on a regular basis is expected and normal maintenance. Any engine will consume some oil and if it doesn't, then there's something wrong with it. I get a kick out of folks who claim there engine doesn't burn any oil. Oil is splashed up on the cylinder walls and when the piston comes back down the cylinder, the piston rings have to have some oil/lubrication between themselves and the cylinder walls and some of that oil is left behind to be burned in the combustion process. This is normal. If that oil wasn't on the cylinder walls, then there would be massive wear going on. Every engine consumes oil, some more, some less, but just because by the time someone changes the oil and they haven't had to add any oil since the previous oil change, doesn't mean the engine hasn't consumed any oil, it just hasn't consumed enough to notice. By design, all engines consume oil.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:56 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
Per new car manufactures, including Ford, 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles is considered normal, as the technician advised you. Now whether you like that or not, that's another matter. lol

Keep in mind that vehicles need maintaining and checking the oil level on a regular basis is expected and normal maintenance. Any engine will consume some oil and if it doesn't, then there's something wrong with it. I get a kick out of folks who claim there engine doesn't burn any oil. Oil is splashed up on the cylinder walls and when the piston comes back down the cylinder, the piston rings have to have some oil/lubrication between themselves and the cylinder walls and some of that oil is left behind to be burned in the combustion process. This is normal. If that oil wasn't on the cylinder walls, then there would be massive wear going on. Every engine consumes oil, some more, some less, but just because by the time someone changes the oil and they haven't had to add any oil since the previous oil change, doesn't mean the engine hasn't consumed any oil, it just hasn't consumed enough to notice. By design, all engines consume oil.
So what's your point????
Old 11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
So what's your point????
As I had said, that rate of consumption is considered normal by vehicle manufacturers. This doesn't mean there couldn't be a leak, or an engine problem, which of course should be checked out, but if that all checks out okay, then there's nothing wrong, per Ford and every other vehicle manufacturer.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:10 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
As I had said, that rate of consumption is considered normal by vehicle manufacturers. This doesn't mean there couldn't be a leak, or an engine problem, which of course should be checked out, but if that all checks out okay, then there's nothing wrong, per Ford and every other vehicle manufacturer.
There is NO WAY consuming 2-3 quarts between oil changes is normal!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:30 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

i haven't even heard of 2-3 quarts is normal, i honestly check my oil at least every 500-1000 miles and it honestly stays at the full mark. I drive very easy when its cold and never get on it before its at normal temp.

I could see half a quart every change at the most maybe even one but 2-3 seems like alot... If I started to lose 2-3 quarts I would be concerned, all I'm saying.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

think of how much oil 3 quarts actually is. thats half the pan full! consuming that much within 3000 miles is not normal. ford says that 100psi of compression on a cylinder is normal, but in fact that is very low. any less would be a sure sign of a dead cylinder. so this is an example that ford will specify information that is on the very limit of normality. Their opinion of "normal" is a wide variance because all cars are different. that is true, but at the same time they have to protect themselves as a company. if they stated that 120psi was the normal limit, then there would be alot more people making warranty claims on engines. the fact is that compression can vary depending on if the car is up to operating temperature or what length of tool your using. But most people dont know this, so they have to realize that too. Alot of people check their compression when the engine is cold and dont know any better. So for rates normal compression at a low number.

Same goes for their ratings of normal oil consumption. Many variables are considired. Does everyone check their oil when the engine is cold? No. They have to understand that alot of people will check it after the engine has been running awhile. That throws off their readings on the dipstick alot. Their would still be alot of oil in the upper end of the engine. (Possibly around 1.5-2 quarts right? hmm.) So anyone who didnt know any better would make a b line to the dealer for warranty repair. They have to avoid things like that. So they take that into consideration when quoting a normal amount of oil consumption. The average consumer knows nothing of piston blowby or any of that. Anyone who knows anything about cars knows that oil consumption during one period is about one quart at the most. Ask any mechanic that isnt paid to quote numbers specified by ford

Last edited by Frostbitten; 11-07-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:55 PM
mike08
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the opinions guys. I'm pretty sure its not burning it but i will have someone behind me next time i floor it for sure and i will look for some leaks.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:49 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mike08
thanks for all the opinions guys. I'm pretty sure its not burning it but i will have someone behind me next time i floor it for sure and i will look for some leaks.
Don't need to do that. Just pull a spark plug or two and see if they look oily and coated with burned oil/deposits. When you park the car for the night, take a few sheets of newspaper and put them on the ground under the engine. The next day, take a look at the newspaper sheets and see if there are any oil drops on them.

Quick Reply: 4.6 oil consumption