4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:51 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
There is NO WAY consuming 2-3 quarts between oil changes is normal!
1,000 miles per quart oil consumption is considered normal by vehicle manufacturers. Call their 1-800 Customer Service lines and see for yourself. Notice I didn't recommend calling their independent dealers, as they are just that, independent dealers and not the manufacturers of the vehicle.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
1,000 miles per quart oil consumption is considered normal by vehicle manufacturers. Call their 1-800 Customer Service lines and see for yourself. Notice I didn't recommend calling their independent dealers, as they are just that, independent dealers and not the manufacturers of the vehicle.
and you believe everything the vehicle manufacture tells you dont you. when you call their customer service line, its likely the person on the other end speaks english as a second language
Old 11-07-2009, 04:14 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
and you believe everything the vehicle manufacture tells you dont you. when you call their customer service line, its likely the person on the other end speaks english as a second language
No reason not to trust the engineers who actually designed the engine. There's a lot more credibility their than self-anointed Internet, "experts".
Call whatever line you wish, send e-mails to their headquarters or engineering department, or what have you. But you will find that vehicle manufacturers and their engineers state that 1 quart per 1,000 miles is considered normal and not excessive, provided their isn't something else causing this oil consumption.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
MMM I do not understand why is it bad that the person on the other end speaks english as a second language... could you please explain that to me?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:42 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I do extended oil changes (8000 mile changes or more) buy this math, my crankcase should be empty 2000 miles ago
Old 11-07-2009, 05:48 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
I do extended oil changes (8000 mile changes or more) buy this math, my crankcase should be empty 2000 miles ago
That's why your owners manual recommends checking fluid levels on a regular basis.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

No reason not to trust the engineers who actually designed the engine. There's a lot more credibility their than self-anointed Internet, "experts".
Call whatever line you wish, send e-mails to their headquarters or engineering department, or what have you. But you will find that vehicle manufacturers and their engineers state that 1 quart per 1,000 miles is considered normal and not excessive, provided their isn't something else causing this oil consumption.
im sorry but you are wrong on 1 quart per 1000 miles. Ive seen engines that smoke from oil use less than that. Ive already explained why ford says that. any engineer that tells you otherwise needs their license revoked.

Originally Posted by darkstarnes
MMM I do not understand why is it bad that the person on the other end speaks english as a second language... could you please explain that to me?
because more than likely you cannot understand them over the phone and they cannot understand you. they are trained to read out of a troubleshooting book. customer service hot lines are a joke!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:48 PM
mike08
2nd Gear Member

looked under the car and there are no leaks. where to go from here?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:52 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I would check to see if you blow smoke out your tailpipes after you fire it up after it was sitting all night. Could be leaking from bad valve seal or obviously something else lol
Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mike08
looked under the car and there are no leaks. where to go from here?
Newspaper under the engine, overnight. This will help detect slow leaks.

Quick Reply: 4.6 oil consumption