4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changing Differential Gears - Need No B.S. Answer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OlGeezer
Thanks for that. I'm already going through MPG shock. The GT replaced a 6 cylinder Camry. However, my commute is a grand total of 1.5 miles. I should probably be walking anyway.
No, you can't do that, because that could cause you to expel methane gas at an increased rate, which is a greenhouse gas! 'Course,we all know the sky is falling and the world is coming to an end in 2012!!! "Ahhhhhh, runnnnnn!"

Seriously though, a noted scientist at a major university just completed a study proving that Co2 gases contribute little, if anything, to, "global warming". The fear mongering from the left is really repulsive.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:13 PM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I would do it if money wasn't a big concern. The stock gears are no fun. I haven't installed gears yet but if I had the chance like you I wouldn't hesistate to do it.

4.10s FTW!
Thanks for your reply.

Money IS a concern. That's why I'm thinking about doing it now. Based on the stuff I've read, it seems that the labor cost is higher than the parts cost. IF the repair requires taking the differential apart anyway, this would be the most economical time to change the gears.

I'm getting a LOT of really good advice. Thanks to everyone.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:16 PM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by 0949er
Ill say DEPENDS.

If you have an auto tranny, I would say don't even worry about it.

However, if you own a 5 speed, throw a set of 4.10s in there and just simply have a shop "93 tune" your car (hp increase will be minimal and since they will have to re-tune the car anyways for the new gears, it would be done side by side just like what your doing now)

BUT, that is only if you have a few extra dollars to spend, and if not, don't worry about it. It wont be "that" big of a deal to somebody who really doesn't care either way.
Sorry. I forgot to mention I've got a 5 speed, my first manual transmission since my 1978 Rabbit.

Can you tell me more or point me to a reference for this "93 tune"? Will the mechanic know what I'm talking about?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:27 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your reply.

Money IS a concern. That's why I'm thinking about doing it now. Based on the stuff I've read, it seems that the labor cost is higher than the parts cost. IF the repair requires taking the differential apart anyway, this would be the most economical time to change the gears.

I'm getting a LOT of really good advice. Thanks to everyone.
Labor costs are almost always a much larger percentage of the total repair costs, than the parts are. So is work done by your Dentist, or your Doctor, etc.

Gas is heading over $3 per gallon and may very well be on its way to $4 per gallon +, especially if our current administration in Washington gets their way. Calculate your approximate gas cost for a year and then recalculate that at a 2-3 mpg decrease. The numbers can really add up. Think long term. Be cautious. As you said, you already have a motorcycle for adrenalin rushes, so balance everything before making a decision.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

I forgot to mention that increasing the gear ratio will also increase the rate of wear on the cars engine, as the engine will be spinning at higher RPM's. More RPM's per minute = faster wear.

Again, many things to consider and what's important to you, or not.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:10 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
Numerically increasing the rear gear ratio will improve acceleration, however the trade off is that the fuel economy of the vehicle can take a big nose dive.
His gas mileage will not "take a big nose dive." He will probably lose 1-3mpg.

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
I forgot to mention that increasing the gear ratio will also increase the rate of wear on the cars engine, as the engine will be spinning at higher RPM's. More RPM's per minute = faster wear.
That is not entirely true. The gears will allow the engine to rev faster but just because he adds a steeper gear doesn't mean he will be spinning at higher rpms. He would be at higher rpms if he is driving on the highway but in town he could control his rpms.

Overall adding new gears isn't going to affect your MPG that much (maybe 1-3mpg) and isn't going to cause a noticable amount of wear and tear, if really any.

And if money is a concern, I would just pass on the gears for now. It will probably cost you an additional $500 for gear install.

Last edited by WannaBeGearHead; 11-07-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

WannaBeGearHead;6621602]His gas mileage will not "take a big nose dive." He will probably lose 1-3mpg.
At $3 + per gallon and rising fast, that is significant to many people on a budget.

That is not entirely true. The gears will allow the engine to rev faster but just because he adds a steeper gear doesn't mean he will be spinning at higher rpms. He would be at higher rpms if he is driving on the highway but in town he could control his rpms.
If we have a higher numerical gear ratio, it will increase engine RPM's at all speeds. This is why speedometer recalibration is necessary.

Overall adding new gears isn't going to affect your MPG that much (maybe 1-3mpg) and isn't going to cause a noticable amount of wear and tear, if really any.
?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:58 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

I had been under the impression speedo correction is done by changing the speedo gear at the transmission. That didn't sound too extravagant to me. Is there more to it than that?
you can use a handheld tuner (or a chip burned from a tuner im guessing) to change your speedo
Old 11-07-2009, 08:03 PM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
And if money is a concern, I would just pass on the gears for now. It will probably cost you an additional $500 for gear install.
I was thinking that the parts (new gears) would be only about $225. I bet there are better places to put $500 in this car.

I really appreciate all the good advice.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

I say get a set of 3.73s, most people on here will say 4.10s or GTFO but i think the 3.73s would be perfect for your needs and lifestyle. And realistically like you said your driving 3 miles both ways so yea, fuel economy isn't too big of a deal. When I had 3.73s in my GT I only loss 1mpg thats it. And if you don't kill it or slam on the gas, your not going to notice a huge difference in mileage. Just drive normally and you don't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Changing Differential Gears - Need No B.S. Answer