4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:09 PM
silverstang0509

Default RE: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1

I recently purchased a 2001 gt and I wanted to modify the engine a bit...I have a k&n, longtubes, xpipe, and magnaflow exhaust. What should be my next mods?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:17 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TECH: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT

ORIGINAL: buster

the best advice that I can give u is to make sure its made of plastic.......metal kind of hold heat right? Kind of defeats the purpose of a COLD air intake right?
no the purpose is it draws air through the fender well so it intakes cold air. how long is that air in the tube rushing into the engine not enough to matter. plus the metal intakes look way better than some plastic piles. besides like stated below if ur that conserned about losing .0000007 hp to the wheels because of the heat u can wrap it to insulate it so it doesnt heat up as much.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
98slowmustanggt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigedog8

ORIGINAL: buster

the best advice that I can give u is to make sure its made of plastic.......metal kind of hold heat right? Kind of defeats the purpose of a COLD air intake right?
no the purpose is it draws air through the fender well so it intakes cold air. how long is that air in the tube rushing into the engine not enough to matter. plus the metal intakes look way better than some plastic piles. besides like stated below if ur that conserned about losing .0000007 hp to the wheels because of the heat u can wrap it to insulate it so it doesnt heat up as much.
Is this for real.. Ok go home and get you a peice of plastic and a peice of aluminum. Get two candels and light them. Hold them over top of it and see witch one you can hold onto. Yes the aluminum one will heat up faster but not as hot as the plastic, and the plastic one will stay hot once it gets hot. Aluminum not only gets hot faster but it disperses the heat faster witch doesnt let it get as hot as the plastic. Now as for getting a cia just buy one off ebay for 35 bucks that what i did and it just as good material and weilds as all the others. Fits perfectly and has all the vacum lines you need, and the spot for the ial. Dont waste your money on expencive ones. they are the same size shape and everything.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:04 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

my mods in the order I did them /// then the order that I would have done them
Steeda underdrive pullies
MAC cold air intake
3.73's
70 mm t-body
flowmaster 2 chamber Loud until the basani x pipes (rember to drill a small hole on the low side of the muffler for a h2o drain they rust)
bassani x pipes
trick flow upper plenum
copper plugs
timming adjuster

how i should have done it.
copper plugs
Cold air NOT MAC
t-body and upper plenum
underdrive pullies ( good one's!)
bassani and flowmasters at the same time
timing adjuster
( this will max your MPG )
now you will be spinning your wheels all over so here is the best money you can spend and most neglected
lower control arms (I like Steeda)
Gtrack stage 1
bumpsteer kit
3.73 or 4.10's, I perfer 3.73 becaues of alot of freeway driving
(This will help in planting the rear end and make the car handle better)

These are very easy to do and not too much $$
Next are the $$$ and hard things. but that all depends on what you have planed for the car.

happy day's
Old 02-24-2006, 09:12 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

Oh 1 more thing
on a private test on the upper plenem (dam I can't spell today) the accufab was the best 11hp gain on car with only cat back and pullies then the dragon something ealse and the one I wasted my money on Trick flow @ 8hp.

Get the accufab and TB 75mm. This will max your stock intake on the 2v for N/A cars.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1

New COP's are now avalable for the 2v and the 3v, 4v are comming soon. These are a great mod on blower cars. Here is the link.
http://forums.modulardepot.com/showt...ight=group+buy
Old 03-16-2006, 01:57 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

well my friend I live in Canada and have never raced below 50 degrees. There is alot of heat under the hood of a car after its been down the 1/4 mile. You make up your own mind. I don't even ice my intake elbow and dial my car at 14.30 and win most of the time. (Of course I dump the last 50 yards or so)
Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Gone22
1st Gear Member

Edit: sry for the repost couldn't find my old one
Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 AM
02yellowGT
1st Gear Member

I have an 02 GT auto. Do you use a shift kit on this tranny or do you adjust the shift points via a programer?

Car is stock as a rock now but on the coming soon list:

K&N intake
Flowmaster exhaust
Some kinda tranny upgrade (shift kit or programer which ever one works with our cars)
70MM T body and plenum

After that I like to think I will be able to leave her alone for a while, but I am sure I will be making plans for a SC not too long after that.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:22 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

For the auto tranny, get the SCT or diablo tuner and adjust your shifts with that.

Don't get the 70mm tb unless you're getting a mid pipe with the flowmasters. I recommend a catted pipe, as flowmasters and o/r pipes are raspy. Now, if you like that, then that's cool. And don't just weld in mufflers; buy a cat back.

If you can afford it, get headers, too. Even shorties are better than stock. I've heard LTs can be a pain for autos.

If you still have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy gears. 4.10s I would think, but no less than 3.73s.

Once you do all that, you can get the tb and plenum.

Quick Reply: Basic Mods for your 96-04 GT/Mach 1