MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Upper Torque Boxes (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/57294-upper-torque-boxes.html)

JCstang01 07-17-2005 06:44 PM

Upper Torque Boxes

Well, I finally finished installing my new upper & lowers Control Arms, man what a job, but well worth it. I went ahead and installed some lower Torque Box Reinforcements while I had it torn apart, but I am trying to decide whether to install the Upper TB Reinforcements. Has anybody here had problems with their Upper Torque Boxes?

jdaniel 07-17-2005 09:47 PM

RE: Upper Torque Boxes

Never have installed or used them before so Im not sure.

BicketyBam 07-17-2005 10:32 PM

What brand of control arms did you install? Did you have to renmove the old rubber bushings for the uppers? Just curious, because I had to and I found that part to be a royal pain in the ass.

JCstang01 07-18-2005 01:14 AM

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

What brand of control arms did you install? Did you have to renmove the old rubber bushings for the uppers? Just curious, because I had to and I found that part to be a royal pain in the ass.

The Upper & Lowers are Blue Oval Industries, I know a few guys on the forum have given them a shot, so I figured what the heck. I love them WOW what a difference! But to answer your question, no I did not remove the old rubber bushings from the uppers at the axle.

04BlueGT 07-18-2005 01:14 AM

If the new arms have stiffer bushings, especially metal, then I'd do the uppers.

BUT, if you're not seriously raising the HP or torque, it'll wait. I have not put boxes in yet, but I understand that the uppers are a royal bitch. On some later models, you have to widen the opening by cutting away some metal.

Good luck

JCstang01 07-18-2005 01:34 AM

Thanks for the info 04BlueGT. I think I will wait on the upper reinforcements until I get more HP.:D

jdaniel 07-18-2005 02:00 AM

ORIGINAL: JCstang01

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

The Upper & Lowers are Blue Oval Industries, I know a few guys on the forum have given them a shot, so I figured what the heck. I love them WOW what a difference! But to answer your question, no I did not remove the old rubber bushings from the uppers at the axle.

I had the Blue Ovals also and I loved them. They made my GT hook SO good. The only thing that sucked about them was the hardware that come with them sucked. The bolts were too short and they wasnt Grade 8 and stripped very easily under the torque of an airwrench.

JCstang01 07-19-2005 12:25 AM

I had the Blue Ovals also and I loved them. They made my GT hook SO good. The only thing that sucked about them was the hardware that come with them sucked. The bolts were too short and they wasnt Grade 8 and stripped very easily under the torque of an airwrench.

Yeah jdaniel your right the hardware sucked. I had to run to the hardware store after I started to get longer, stronger bolts. All of it was well worth it though cause that thing just flat hooks up, no more wheel hop.;)