4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oil comming out of breather? normal

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

Default oil comming out of breather? normal

I have a breather on my drivers side valve cover and I noticed quite a bit of oil on the valve cover is this normal?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I'm guessing you're talking about the pcv valve outlet (tube runs from there to the air intake tract just before the throttle body), and no, it's not normal. Should be clean. You may want to try cleaning out the pcv valve with some carb cleaner, it may be stuck open (take it off and shake it, if it doesn't rattle then it's stuck); or as a long shot I suppose if your air filter is extremely dirty it could be causing a restriction which might be forcing the intake to draw excessively from the pcv valve. Just a couple of ideas; I'm sure somebody here might have better ones.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

No its not the pcv I don't have a breather on the pcv. Its on the drivers side. Usually a hose runs from there to the intake before the supercharger but I put a breather onto it to clean up the engine bay.do I maybe need a catch can?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

yes ^^

I would get a catch can. How much boost are you running? If it is what i think you are describing, its where your crank case vents. Does it get worse when the engine is under boost?

alot of boosted cars have this problem. It happens when the car is under boost and then you let off quickly and the pressure bleeds from the crank case out the valve cover. What you are seeing is the small amount of oil that is being blown through the breather. just get a catch can and you'll be good to go.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
SoCalRCCprix

yes it very normal - dont sweat it
Old 11-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

I'm just running 9lbs(need a boost-a-pump :/).ya, it is the crank case vent. I noticed it when I was at the track on sunday,that's when it was bad.
If I where to do a catch can how do u do it? Get a cylinder and run a hose into it and empty it every once in awhile?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Copied from MMR's site, but other vendors sell basically the same thing

96-09 2V,3V 0r 4V Valve cover Breather kit for Supercharged/Turbocharged applications

This complete kit allows you to vent the valve cover/crank case pressure to the atmosphere, This prevents your turbocharger or supercharger inlet tube from sucking oil out of the engine and burning it which causes smoking, oil leaks, Detonation and poor performance. Kit includes all lines and fittings to attach to factory valve cover. Breather tank includes filter and mounting bracket and can be mounted in any location including the fenderwell and includes easy drain fitting.
Specify year @ checkout>>

Basically mount the can to the fender/fire wall, and run the supplied hose to where you have your breather filter. Check it every couple of weeks(depending on how hard you drive the car) and empty as needed. I will be running one on my setup....
Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 PM
SteveMasterZerox9
2nd Gear Member

Hey thats the catch can^^^ im about to buy. I recommend it!!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

if you have an open breather setup you should be using AN fittings on the valvecovers with braided lines routed to a catch can so it doesnt leak. The pcv valve should be history with open breathers
Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveMasterZerox9
Hey thats the catch can^^^ im about to buy. I recommend it!!
only problem is that kit only allows you to vent through one valvecover. it would work fine, but ideally you want to vent both covers

Quick Reply: oil comming out of breather? normal