4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

just got my emissions notice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Default just got my emissions notice...

due by the end of january. i currently have pypes longtubes and an off-road h. my tune has my rear O2's turned off, so my CEL is not on and the computer thinks everything is hunky dory, but if they get a wild hair up their butt and look under the car because of the way the exhaust smells, i'm done. anyone in md know of a place that's easy to pass through?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:35 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

That's a tough one. Some shops are lazy and only care about the sniff test. Others won't even test your car unless every smog item is verified. I'm not sure of the laws in MD, but in CA I believe you get two chances before being labeled a 'gross polluter' (requiring a smog check every other year after that). So, you could roll the dice and hope they don't look, or just reinstall the stock downpipes and factory tune (at least for the day).

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 AM
ride4lyfe
1st Gear Member

I'm in harford county and in the past everytime i have gone it has been some 25 year old kid who tells me he likes my car and does his thing and thats it. Please let me know how you make out as i have the same exact set up but have yet to go through emissions with with the set up
Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 AM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

im in the severna park/ annapolis area. you best bet is to take you car to a busy emissions station in the city or something, durring a busy time with lots of other cars. they will hook up to your computer see its all good, and with luck they wont look under the car to see cats.

is your car lowered or not?? you could also see if someone can make some quick sheilds to put on you pipe, to make it look like it has cats.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

you know a fine looking female that can go with you that wouldn't mind being a little flirty? big ***** with a low cut top, preferably. im being serious actually.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:18 AM
taa84

Originally Posted by IRSmart
due by the end of january. i currently have pypes longtubes and an off-road h. my tune has my rear O2's turned off, so my CEL is not on and the computer thinks everything is hunky dory, but if they get a wild hair up their butt and look under the car because of the way the exhaust smells, i'm done. anyone in md know of a place that's easy to pass through?
mine is in jan to i have a off road x all im doind is weld the heat shields on the xpipe and hopefuly they wont say nothing
Old 11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

supposedly they can now check whether or not the O2s are turned off, regardless if there is a CEL or not.

not sure if theres truth to this or not though. someone else should chime in.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure what the smog inspections and testing requirements are elsewhere, but here in CA they pride themselves on being absolute effing ****'s!! From the above posts, I get the idea that is some states, such as TN and MD, that they just do a visual inspection, as to see that emissions controlling equipment is still in place. Because it goes without saying that fake heat shields aren't gonna go too far in helping you pass a sniffer. Here where I'm at, I'd never get away with a set of longtubes (and most shorties); too much trouble to switch them out every two years. As for a midpipe, I chose to save money and go with an o/r piece; CA emissions law/standards state that a given vehicle must have numerically as many cat's as originally supplied from the factory, and all of the catted aftermarket pipes I've come across have only two. An aftermarket catted pipe might pass a sniffer, but you're screwed on the visual if they so choose to look. I find that it's easier to just swap out the two pieces every couple years and know I'm in the clear. Your best shot is to stop by a smog test shop in your area and ask a tech there what they look for and how your car will be tested.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:36 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shaun12
is your car lowered or not?? you could also see if someone can make some quick sheilds to put on you pipe, to make it look like it has cats.
no, my car is not lowered, but it does have subframe connectors. i don't remember how much they obscure the view of my mid-pipe. and i just sent the shop that i use an email asking if he could do some custom work on my mid-pipe and weld some cat shells to it. they do a ton of custom metal work, so i'm sure he can mock something up for me.

i know for a fact that my car will just be put through a compter test. in my area, any car that is OBD-II is not put through a sniffer. anything OBD-I is put on a treadmill and sniffed. so as long as they don't look under the car, i SHOULD be okay. i'll try taking it to a place in baltimore city on a thursday afternoon (my only day off) and praying that it passes.

anyone else in md care to chime in? anyone that has passed?

Last edited by IRSmart; 11-23-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

I'm in the same boat and I live in Cali. They are ****'s here so I have to have some Cat's welded in, probably won't have much effect on the exhaust note other than making it quieter.

Price to pay to live here I guess. They do visual and the sniff test is via computer, luckily there are lots of ghetto shops so not too many super strict shops, mostly just want to make sure you pass the minimums.

Cost to have 2 Cat's welded in = 500 bucks
Registration Fee = 350

Good Luck.

Last edited by Sap; 11-23-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: just got my emissions notice...