4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LT's, X-Pipe, and Catback

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 05:49 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default LT's, X-Pipe, and Catback

I'm going to order a full exhaust system i was thinking. If i order LT's i will need a Short X-Pipe right? then a catback. I'm looking into Mac LT Headers, Shorty SLP X-Pipe catted(w/race pipes for track) and SLP Loudmouth II Catback. I just wanted to double check and make sure all this will fit so I dont have to cut anything or stuff like that.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: LT's, X-Pipe, and Catback

If you get LT headers then I would make sure you dont need a new clutch first. After you install them you are gonna pay about three hours of labor for the uninstall of one side to get the tranny out.

I wouldnt go with Mac. Their products really suck. I would get a set of BBK's. They are of good quality and will last. As for the X pipe, when you order it make sure you get the shorty X for the LT headers. Best thing to do is order it over the phone and stress the point that you are going to have LT headers to the person from which you order.

When you install the Catback... you will need to cut the old exhaust out from where it loops over the axle. Thats the only to get the old one out. The new one just bolts in though.

Are you doing the entire install yourself? Headers and all?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Yes I will be doing all this my self over 3 day period. Ok looks like ill be getting BBK LTs, SLP X-Pipe, SLP Catback. My clutch is fine only 50,000 miles on it never slips. Previous owner was adult and knew how to drive. I'm only one in my family that can drive stick so and I dont burn the clutch so its all good.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:31 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Trust me... REPLACE THE CLUTCH! Its really easy and you can do it your self. Just go get a spline alignment tool and do it. Unless you have money to throw away then I would definetly have it done.

Another helpful hint... the headers are going to be a PAIN IN THE *** to install. The best thing to do is disconnect the top wiring harness (the coil-on-plug connectors, fuel injector connectors, crank sensor and can sensor), the motor mounts, and the four bolts in the rear of the drive shaft, and the tranny cross member and lift the engine up about six inches. That way it will be a LOT easier to install the headers. If you do it that way then it will take you about three hour per side to get them in. If you do it while the engine is down then you are looking at three days just to install the headers.

... or drop the K member if you have the experience.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:08 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Wow headers are looking more and more like a pain in the *** to put in... Thats a big turn off. I have expierence in a garage had to quit due to school, but I think i will be able to install the headers even if it takes me a long time. My dad also used to work in a gas station and he replaced clutches and stuff so i might just replace the clutch like you said. After all that stuff you just said headers are going down my parts to buy list. Thanks for the information. I think the next mod before headers will be C&L Plenum w/75mm TB.