4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang GT functional stock hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 AM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang GT functional stock hood scoop

Is there any way to make a stock GT hood scoop legitimately functional? (Not by just cutting a hole in the hood) I love the way the stock GT hood scoop looks but hate the fact that its fake.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Sure, it would not be difficult (mostly time consuming) to fabricate a manifold to fit under the hood and plumb the air into the intake. You would have to have baffles to keep water from getting through, and drains to route the collected water out and around the engine.

However, unlike the days when hood scoops were linked directly to the carburetor inlets, all the baffling and hosing would likely be rather restrictive--and since, as has been proven over and over again, the whole notion of "ram" air intakes is false (as intuitive as the notion might seem)--what's the point.

This said I don't like it, or the fake side scoops, either* and wish they were either functional or gone--but in the case of the hood scoop I do not, not like it enough, to deal with the hassles of having it be functional--as in getting air into the engine, not as in making any more power--which it wouldn't...

-----------------------------
* - I have disliked fake things sinced I dated a rather plain looking, but seemingly well-endowed, girl in the 8th grade...
Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

get a shaker hood if you want a functional scoop. there is no cheap way to make the GT one functional that ive seen. and cutting a hole in your scoop/hood to make the stocker functional is a bad idea. it will rip off on the highway.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:29 PM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Sure, it would not be difficult (mostly time consuming) to fabricate a manifold to fit under the hood and plumb the air into the intake. You would have to have baffles to keep water from getting through, and drains to route the collected water out and around the engine.

However, unlike the days when hood scoops were linked directly to the carburetor inlets, all the baffling and hosing would likely be rather restrictive--and since, as has been proven over and over again, the whole notion of "ram" air intakes is false (as intuitive as the notion might seem)--what's the point.

This said I don't like it, or the fake side scoops, either* and wish they were either functional or gone--but in the case of the hood scoop I do not, not like it enough, to deal with the hassles of having it be functional--as in getting air into the engine, not as in making any more power--which it wouldn't...

-----------------------------
* - I have disliked fake things sinced I dated a rather plain looking, but seemingly well-endowed, girl in the 8th grade...
Have you ever seen anybody do this?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:27 AM
kimlightningmcnulty

I cut mine out to make it functional, not ram air (as said above it doesn't work) just to cool as i use the car for drifting so the cooler i can keep it the better. There are lots of bolts in it from factory so no problems on the freeway either.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:49 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ive heard of many peoples scoops ripping off doing what you did. those bolts are plastic, lots of freeway use and they tend to rip off.

and gl when it rains.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
ive heard of many peoples scoops ripping off doing what you did. those bolts are plastic, lots of freeway use and they tend to rip off.

and gl when it rains.
The studs are metal, however they are held captive into the scoop's plastic structure by metal "Tinnerman" type clips.

(sorry for the crappy photo)

I have also heard the stories of modified scoops flying off, however I have never seen photos of one that had--and for the same reason's that "ram-air" doesn't work (read more here) I have a hard time believing that if properly fastened it would tear off...
Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

The missing hood scoop on my car is bonafied proof the scoops do indeed fly off! They dont need to be modified though, mine was bone stock and it flew off at 140mph on the way to Pahrump. Took the scoop clean off and left the bolts behind.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i just read the ram air schpeal and i may not fully understand it but heres my take on it because IMO it actually proves that it will have more of an effect at ripping the scoop off:

if anything this will tell you that the ram air effect WILL have an increased pressure against the hood scoop, but is unable to compress the air enough at a speed less than mach .3. air is unable to compress on its own at less than those speeds, so when air is funneling through an intake and then restricted, the force will go outward toward the container its trying to be compressed in because air will not compress at speeds less than 228mph. with the black honeycomb piece over the front of the scoop, no air is able to go into the scoop and create pressure. take this for example:

what creates more resistance. a flat object traveling into the wind or an object with a parachute on the back of it. an open scoop is acting as a parachute (a cupped area where more air can go in than can go out while traveling through space)

if anything the ram air theory helps support it in my limited physics knowledge.