4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Default suspension help

Well it appears as though i need new rear shocks seeing as the is fluid all over the driverside. Here is my question, I was planing on getting a lower kit with new springs and shocks that match. However, i don't have the money to do the kit or time to install it, so i was wondering if i could put shocks in the back now that would match springs i put in later with out causing handleing issues or wearing out the shock prematurely. thanks guys
Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

bumb***
Old 12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You can put the springs in even without all the other matching stuff. As far as your ride goes, it might handle a little different. Just hurry and save up for the other goodies to match the springs.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

well i need to replace the shocks first. I need to fix other problems with the suspension first to, there is a ever increasing pop coming from the front end whenever the front end dipps too. Something is really wrong with it, i just don't know what. I have never done suspension work on anything so this will be yet another learning experience. Of coarse none of this would have mattered, cuz i lost it last night around a corner i take all the time and almost spun her into the woods going like 55. :0

Last edited by swarthyfellow; 12-02-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

that pop is most likely the control arm bushing binding up, drive it up on ramps and loosen the control arm nuts/bolts up front, let them loose enough so as the suspension is preloaded with the cars weight on the tires at normal ride hight then tighten them up again but you dont need to tighten them to the point of killing yourself, they are locking nuts and its they are toooo tight they will have the same problem
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

and you have fluid? from where?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cisurfer
that pop is most likely the control arm bushing binding up, drive it up on ramps and loosen the control arm nuts/bolts up front, let them loose enough so as the suspension is preloaded with the cars weight on the tires at normal ride hight then tighten them up again but you dont need to tighten them to the point of killing yourself, they are locking nuts and its they are toooo tight they will have the same problem
+1 I installed aftermarket LCA's and there was a popping noise from the urethane bushings I loosened them up just a tad an it went away.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:41 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

nice, i will have to try that. The shocks in the rear end both have fluid everywhere. Any thoughts on a good replacement for them?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:31 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
nice, i will have to try that. The shocks in the rear end both have fluid everywhere. Any thoughts on a good replacement for them?
Well I have the KYB Gas-a-just shocks in the rear of my car and I LOVE them. They can be had for about 80$ or cheaper if u look around. Since they aren't that expensive u won't break the bank when u buy the other suspension parts. When u get ready to upgrade u won't take that much of a loss.

Ignore the spacer because it's gone now. lol
Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

yeah that looks lik a pretty sweet set up, did u do the work yourself?

Quick Reply: suspension help