4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looks like I get to replace the window register

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Default Looks like I get to replace the window register

So, the other day I hit the button to put the drivers door window down and instead of stopping and the window motor automatically turning off, I get a loud "clack clack clack" when the window hits the bottom (like the gear in there skipping or grinding teeth). It will continue to make this noise until you touch the "up" button and shut the motor off. However, it does not do this on the way up, when it hits the very top. I haven't been able to take the door panel off yet and get a look at things yet, but I'm figuring the best thing to do is just replace the whole register assembly when I do. LRS has them, with an OEM motor for like $60, so I'm probably gonna order one soon.

My question is, before I get into this thing, is there anything special I need to know about removal and replacement of this part that won't necessarily obvious from staring at it? Any there specialty tools needed or that would be otherwise helpful? I'm already figuring on picking up a pop rivet gun, as I'm sure that's how the current register is attached. And how about getting my glass out of the track it sits in? How is it secured in there? Or maybe better to let an auto glass shop handle this so I have somebody besides myself to be pissed at if it gets effed up??Thanks for any help or direction you can give me on this one.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

My bad, window REGULATOR, not register. Anyhoo, I just removed the window motor in the hopes that maybe it was chipped teeth on the motor sprocket. Of course it wasn't, it's never that easy. The last two teeth on the regulator sprocket, just before it hits the stop at the bottom, are slightly chipped (how the hell did that happen?!). And after looking at this thing it appears to be a real bastard to deal with (the worst and riskiest part being removing the glass) and otherwise not worth it. When somebody refers to a car as "having character" or "personality", I believe this is the kind of thing they're talking about. I'd rather spend my time and money doing other things to the car for now, so I'm gonna live with it.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

UPDATE.... So I put it all back together, but before I put the door panel back on I thought it would be good to check for proper operation (besides the original problem) and watch as it moves. Now, the window needed assistance at first to move up or down. Played around with it a little bit, and then heard a clank. Great.... So I reach in and pull out the gear (which is actually a curved piece of steel, not a sprocket as I had thought earlier). The tack welds which hold it to the rest of the regulator decided to take a sh**. So now I get the opportunity to take it into a shop and pay out the *** to have them take the glass and regulator out and weld it back on. The teeth on the regulator gear are not as bad as I thought (hard to see what exactly is going on when it's all inside the door); as stated in my previous post, the bottom two are slightly chewed (but still fully usable), but I now suspect that this happened because of the welds breaking which would have allowed that piece to move around and be out of alignment when the window was down. So yeah, I'm stoked.... Anybody else out there having a good day??

Last edited by Z28KLR; 12-04-2009 at 04:45 PM.