4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brakes....HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Brodiemannn
2nd Gear Member

Default Brakes....HELP!!!!

Over time I've devloped a brake issue and im thinking master cylinder at this point any input would be appreciated.

Story goes as one evening im pulling into a parking lot on pretty level ground for the most part and as im coasting into a parking spot, I actually seem to slow down ...so i just chalked it off for the time being.

A few days later i was driving home and as i was coasting up to a light i again slightly slowed up. I kept checking this at each stop sign up to my home same result. I get out and check all 4 wheels, well the last wheel which was the driver front was EXTREMELY hot.

I thought I might of had a caliper issue so i purchased a new one. Well I ended up replacing both front calipers because the bleeder was frozen on the passenger side.

I have bled them about 5-6 times and with my recent trips around the block I've got a pedal that doesnt want to return/slightly spongy almost and again i slow up when coasting. Is this a master cylinder issue?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Brodiemannn
2nd Gear Member

27 views no replies cmon! help a brotha out
Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Did you bleed the rear brakes also?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Also, check the brake lines. When you unhooked the banjo bolt, did the front lines drip fluid at a steady rate? or did it sorta just dribble out?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Brodiemannn
2nd Gear Member

yes i bled the rear also, im going to do it again tuesday as a last ditch effort as it seems to get better everytime.

Could there be some sort of adjustment issue? I wouldnt think with being 4 wheel disc i would have that kind of problem but who knows.

I dont think it dribbled out when I undid the banjo, didnt pay to much attention. Is there a torque spec on them? I did everything by hand and know i really tightened them up good.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:28 PM
pkwest
1st Gear Member

If you jack up the car, all four wheels have excessive drag? If yes to all of them try opening one of the bleeder screws, does it free up that caliper? Your master cyl could be hanging up if yes. I have not personally experienced it though. If only one is hanging up the piston in that caliper is sticking. Your brake pedal is not hanging up/sticking right? Air in the lines won't cause what you are experiencing. Rust on the rotors could but that would clean off quickly when driven.
If you do replace the master cyl. remember to bleed the master cyl also.
Good luck
Old 12-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Not sure what year 'stang you have but in my '03 the MC has 2 circuits. One for the front and one for the rear brakes. You may need to bench bleed the MC to get all the air out of both circuits.

John
Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

spongy brakes is usually air or wasted brake fluid as in it the system needs to be flushed. If flushing all of the fluid doesn't fix it then the master cylinder is leaking internally and needs to be replaced or rebuilt.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
mazdat

i don't think its air in the system, or even the calipers, are you running headers? The reason i'm asking is because what i seen in the past is that when the brake lines (not the hoses) are real close to the exhaust or hitting the exhaust, brake fluid tend to expand with heat, specially the front wheels, so you want to make sure that all the brake lines are not too close or hitting the exhaust, you also want to make sure that you are using the correct brake fluid. Second, another posibility is that you may have a bad master cylinder or brake booster, to check those, when the brake lock up, the best thing to do (having the front wheels jacked up) is to separate the master cylinder from the booster, do not disconnect the lines going to the master, the moment you separate the master from the booster, if the front wheels all of the sudden gets freed up, you have a bad booster, if it does'nt free up, you have a bad master cylinder, but do the checking of the lines first before anything

Jorge
Old 12-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Brodiemannn
2nd Gear Member

Ok so today i bled all 4 again, got a decent pedal out of it.

I drive it about say 10 miles and the pedal is not the stiffest but i have a good enough brake not to worry to much.

Well I get home check all the wheels and the passenger front is now hot as hellllll, and the driver front is slightly warm but you could still probably touch it.

Hah im lost!!!!