4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car starts, but dies...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

i got the tuner part down. the diablosport reads codes
Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

if you already know its the COPs then replace them. is there a way to test COPs? such as with a multimeter or something equivalent?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I JUST bought brand new COP's though.. replacing isnt as easy as it sounds considering i would need to spend another $100... doesn't come easy to a college student

I've heard of the multimeter thing.. but i dont get why it started right up today... car still rips so i really dont know what it is. if it was a COP, the car wouldn't still pull hard. it would almost misfire. no?

that's what i dont get
Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I can almost guarantee this issue is unrelated to your COPs. Check the CPS as stated above, and definately check for codes if at all possible. Read my sticky in my sig for info about testing the COPs, and other possible culprits and symptoms. It sounds to me liek the IAC valve is sticking. It bolts to the front of your Plenum, and can be cleaned to an extent, but it is always better to replace it. To clean it, just removed it, and spray some carb cleaner in it and voila. It isnt your COPs.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
I JUST bought brand new COP's though.. replacing isnt as easy as it sounds considering i would need to spend another $100... doesn't come easy to a college student

I've heard of the multimeter thing.. but i dont get why it started right up today... car still rips so i really dont know what it is. if it was a COP, the car wouldn't still pull hard. it would almost misfire. no?

that's what i dont get
It's not the COP's, lol.

At idle Do you notice any sort of drop listening to the engine? It will be very faint.

If you haven't pulled the plugs, do that and inspect them. (Just to appease me.) I've had crack porcelains out of the box.

Check to see if the COP coil is actually sliding and grasping onto the SP head. Also, please if you're not, use dielectric grease on the tips.

What's your idle tune settings for your handheld?

Do you use the same gas station all the time? What's the weather like where you're at? Has there been a large temperature change since you lst really drove the car a lot?

The cold temps can affect initial starting because of many factors.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

HAHAHA sh*t this is a lot to answer!!

At idle Do you notice any sort of drop listening to the engine? It will be very faint.
none whatsoever. once it starts up, it's good to go. it's not until the next day of starting it that i have to cross my fingers again

If you haven't pulled the plugs, do that and inspect them. (Just to appease me.) I've had crack porcelains out of the box.
I pulled them out when i installed the new COP's maybe 2 months ago, just to see how they were doing after a month or two of being in there. Is it urgent that i do it again? It's 20 degrees out

Check to see if the COP coil is actually sliding and grasping onto the SP head. Also, please if you're not, use dielectric grease on the tips.
I tried my best to make sure that those damn things were snug in there.. I test fitted the COP coil by putting it onto the top of a spark plug while it was out and it fit snug. When i put the COP's onto the spark plugs while the SP's were in the car, i did my best to wiggle it around so that it SHOULD be fit on top of the SP..

I did NOT use dielectric grease. What will that help accomplish?

What's your idle tune settings for your handheld?
Stock. I didn't want to mess with that. I think it idles somewhere around 750? W/e stock is, is where it should be idling

Do you use the same gas station all the time? What's the weather like where you're at? Has there been a large temperature change since you lst really drove the car a lot?
I have switched gas stations since the start up problems have been happening. I ruled "bad gas" out of the equation. Weather is pretty cold in NJ. constant 30 degrees or below. The problems have been happening from back in november when the temp was 55 degrees in the day and 30 at night and now when its maybe 30 degrees in the daytime and 10 at night. The only thing i can think of is that the problem seems prevalent after a light/heavy rain The cold temps can affect initial starting because of many factors.

I'd like to end this long post by saying that i hate this car

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 12-24-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:09 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
I can almost guarantee this issue is unrelated to your COPs. Check the CPS as stated above, and definately check for codes if at all possible. Read my sticky in my sig for info about testing the COPs, and other possible culprits and symptoms. It sounds to me liek the IAC valve is sticking. It bolts to the front of your Plenum, and can be cleaned to an extent, but it is always better to replace it. To clean it, just removed it, and spray some carb cleaner in it and voila. It isnt your COPs.
I guess i will attempt to clean the IAC and see if that helps... Sounds easy enough to clean

Thanks for ruling out my COP's guys lol. It's jsut that it seems to have started happening ever since i changed them. So it sounded like a good idea to blame it on the COP's...
Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Are you driving the car right now or is it mostly parked for the winter?

If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say it's just cold and temperamental being that it has to do with a combination of the Initial air temps on start up, thick lowered viscosity of the cold oil, maybe a temperamental IAC valve, the fact that the global timing is "Probably" advanced because of the tune and lastly, the engine is itself is so cold, it's making it's own resistance because of the metal material.

Leave it alone and don't screw with anything, if it does die, just restart it.

What weight oil are you running? I suggest to EVERYONE to run 0w20 durring the winter months.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:08 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Im barely driving it. I dont want the salt eating up the paint/undercarriage of my car. It just gets onto everything here in NJ.I'll drive it here and there. The last time i drove it was a week ago.

It just seems to have a shaky start up, but once it turns over, it's good to go. I'll go with you sxynerd and just chalk it up as the cold weather is messing with my initial start up. Because other than the start up, it drives perfectly fine. If this keeps happening come spring time, than i'll have to start cleaning things out.

I'm pretty sure that i am using 5w30...non synthetic