4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BBK Edelbrock Throttle Body FTL

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Default BBK Edelbrock Throttle Body FTL

The other night i got stranded on a busy road because I all of a sudden had no throttle at all. I didn't even have enough momentum to get on the shoulder so I had to push the car as best I could to the shoulder but it was grass and I couldn't push it on that surface. It was kind of a mess.

Anyways, long story short my throttle body cracked Im wondering if anybody thinks I could repair it? I have the stock throttle body but I'm worried about how it will run because it is tuned with this BBK one.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

only think i could think of is to weld it back together. prob have to drill and retap for the screw. then grind it all down to work nicely.

otherwise just get a new one. put the stock on for now until you do. i can't imagine the car will run terrible if its not tuned for stock, just take it easy if your worried until you get a new one.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

glad I just bought one of these a little while back
Old 12-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

How long have you had it? There might be a warranty of some kind on it.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Holy Lemon...I have the one from summit, and its practically the same thing...
Honestly, I would call the company and "express your dissatisfaction" in a polite manner, and kindly grobble for a repalcement lol. But seriously, though, that has got to be covered under manufacturers defect.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:09 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
Holy Lemon...I have the one from summit, and its practically the same thing...
Honestly, I would call the company and "express your dissatisfaction" in a polite manner, and kindly grobble for a repalcement lol. But seriously, though, that has got to be covered under manufacturers defect.

agreed, first time i have ever seen this happen. but if you bout it from someone who bought it from someone....going to the company wont do much.

if YOU bought it new then you could have a good case.

could just tell them you bought it new reguardless and see how it turns out lol
Old 12-24-2009, 03:05 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

call bbk up anyways, its not common that a tb just breaks, just swap your stock one on for now and u should be fine till u get another one.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You are quite fortunate that the screw did not get into the motor, even a small chunk of metal could do some serious damage. Also, for that reason I would not attempt to repair the throttle plate shaft. Any competent machine shop could make one, or maybe BBK offers it as a replacement part.

One observation is that the bearing boss on the bellcrank side of the TB casting is not very long, as compared to that on my Pro Products or the OEM unit;

BBK:

Pro Products:

The significantly narrower bearing would cause much more stress on the cross-drilled section of the shaft--this is likely what led to the failure. I suspect the tight-fitted black plastic spacer is an attempt to provide better support for the shaft, however as the spacer wears that support lessens--it's a poor design...

As to running the stock TB, there's nothing in a tune that has anything to do with the size of the throttle body.

Last edited by cliffyk; 12-24-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:11 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies everybody. I put the stock TB on and the car runs fine.

Since BBK and Edelbrock's names are both on it I called both companies. BBK said they can't sell internal throttle body parts.

When I called Edelbrock and told them what happened, the first thing he asked me was if the car was supercharged or turbocharged because this has happened to other people with power adders. But I have to wait until Jan 4th to talk to them again because of the holidays.

There sure is a lot less support for the throttle shaft compared to the pro products and that is probably why it broke. Also, in the area where it cracked, they milled it down to less than 1/16" right under the screw head.

Last edited by vanquish; 12-24-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

sue bbk

Quick Reply: BBK Edelbrock Throttle Body FTL