4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question on air filter gasket thing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Default Question on air filter gasket thing...

So today i bought a Haynes manual and felt like checking out the air filter. I actually ended up removing the maf as well. But anyways to my surprise the previous owner of the car put in a K&N air filter cone in the stock airbox. The filter was really dirty so i just submerged it in lightly soaped water and then rinsed it. The filter seems very dirty still...

Here's my question, i pulled out the K&N cone filter and there was a kind of rubber gasket thing that just fell right off the filter. I was going to silicone it back onto the cone, but i just tossed the rubber ring / gasket out and put the somewhat cleaner air filter back in. Is this a critical seal i may need?

Also if i have a K&N filter in a stock intake and box will i have no HP gains? Im thinking i may as well throw in a clean new filter from pepboys? Or should i keep the K&N and get a new rubber ring thing? are they that much better?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 PM
StripeyGT
2nd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Not sure what the rubber gasket is you are referring to, but on the K&N filter, you need to use a special cleaner and you need to re-oil the filter before reusing it. K&N makes a kit for cleaning and re-oiling that you can probably pick up at your local auto parts store.

Link to K&N cleaning kits and instructions

As for using the K&N or a conventional paper filter, I think paper filters work just fine. You won't really see any performance gain from the K&N and some will even tell you they don't filter as well as the paper filters. Personally, if you have a bone stock motor in your car, I recommend just using the conventional filter.

Last edited by StripeyGT; 01-02-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add K&N link
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StripeyGT
Not sure what the rubber gasket is you are referring to, but on the K&N filter, you need to use a special cleaner and you need to re-oil the filter before reusing it. K&N makes a kit for cleaning and re-oiling that you can probably pick up at your local auto parts store.

As for using the K&N or a conventional paper filter, I think paper filters work just fine. You won't really see any performance gain from the K&N and some will even tell you they don't filter as well as the paper filters. Personally, if you have a bone stock motor in your car, I recommend just using the conventional filter.
Whoops, well ill just pick up a paper filter in the next few days. Even though i did the opposite of oiling and soaped up my airfilter should i still be okay? I only plan on keeping the filter for a few hundred miles of driving if even that.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 PM
StripeyGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
Whoops, well ill just pick up a paper filter in the next few days. Even though i did the opposite of oiling and soaped up my airfilter should i still be okay? I only plan on keeping the filter for a few hundred miles of driving if even that.
I wouldn't recommend using the filter without it oiled or even partially oiled. The reason is that the oil in the filter is part of what captures the dirt in the filter. You may pass too much dirt into the motor and damage the engine. It's not worth the risk IMHO. I'd pick up a new filter or properly clean the K&N ASAP.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StripeyGT
I wouldn't recommend using the filter without it oiled or even partially oiled. The reason is that the oil in the filter is part of what captures the dirt in the filter. You may pass too much dirt into the motor and damage the engine. It's not worth the risk IMHO. I'd pick up a new filter or properly clean the K&N ASAP.
Hmm okay looks like ill get a new paper air filter tomorrow :P ill keep the k&N around if i ever need it. Im sure a few miles with the current filter wont hurt...
Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Spend the money a Fram or whatever filter will cost and get the K&N cleaning kit, it's like $12. I only say this because you already have the filter, might as well use it. And like the post above states, the oil is what helps trap some of the fine dirt particles, so you definitely need that. All things considered, unless you live in a dusty area you'll probably be ok without oiling it for a day or two, provided you're not driving that far, but I would still try to make getting the cleaning kit the first place you drive to. Not sure about the rubber gasket, either. Check to see if the filter seems properly seated and secured (maybe take the airbox off from the MAF and shake it a couple times with the filter in it?), if not then stuff the gasket back in there. Probably not much of a power gain by itself; I'm told the airbox is what presents the main restiction in the intake tract. Your car's coming along well, by the way. Dig the rims.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Yeah if i get the fram filter i wont have to worry about this rubber ring that may or maynot need to be on the K&N filter. Ill get the cleaning kit next time i need to change the filter.

But thanks! The car was a diamond in the rough, i plan on putting some OE smoked headlights on it fairly soon and possibly putting on a GT hood scoop.