4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Many of relatively simple questions, Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Default Many of relatively simple questions, Help please!

So i got to really drive my new mustang today for a long trip and i noticed alot of things so here we go:

1) Occasionally when i was driving on the highway going 70-80mph the car felt like it was driving in heavy wind and being blown around. the rear end felt like it was going left and right...yet there was no wind at all. The car was also pulling unpredicably left and right. The car kind of felt like the rear end was loose and it was moving left and right; or it felt like someone was driving with unsmooth "jerky" steering. The car is aligned and the tires are balanced. This is my largest concern... Can blown struts do this? Im fairly sure there shot. What else can cause this? what do i check? It only does this when im on the highway. I guess a simplifed version of this is the car has a "wonder steer".

2. Is 354 miles to a tank on a v6 5-speed fairly good? It was pure highway driving, but it was not a constant speed, i was going 70-80mph.

3. When the car was at a light i noticed i could see the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. The car had been operating for 2 hours...It was cold enough to see your breath. But from my experience when cars have been running they dont smoke up even in cold. Or is this simply because of the higher flow exhaust.

4. My engine never got hot according to the coolant gauge, but it was 20-40 degrees today, is it odd my electric fan turned on after i got off the freeway? It was very loud when it turned on for about a min and then went off.

5. I have the 2 separate stock deck's. Do i need to remove the radio/cassette deck as well to install a new cd player?

6. When i engage the clutch to shift the rpms slightly raise and hold right before i put it in the next gear as if i were pressing the gas pedal. Whats the method for fixing this? I remember reading about it somewhere but i cant find it now!

Last edited by itsdaveonline; 01-03-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
1) Occasionally when i was driving on the highway going 70-80mph the car felt like it was driving in heavy wind and being blown around. the rear end felt like it was going left and right...yet there was no wind at all. The car was also pulling unpredicably left and right. The car kind of felt like the rear end was loose and it was moving left and right; or it felt like someone was driving with unsmooth "jerky" steering. The car is aligned and the tires are balanced. This is my largest concern... Can blown struts do this? Im fairly sure there shot. What else can cause this? what do i check? It only does this when im on the highway. I guess a simplifed version of this is the car has a "wonder steer".
Could be. I don't have a lot of experience with that stuff. However, going 80mph means you were in 80mph winds, so a little swaying is to be expected.

2. Is 354 miles to a tank on a v6 5-speed fairly good? It was pure highway driving, but it was not a constant speed, i was going 70-80mph.
That's like 27mpg. Yeah, pretty good.
3. When the car was at a light i noticed i could see the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. The car had been operating for 2 hours...It was cold enough to see your breath. But from my experience when cars have been running they dont smoke up even in cold. Or is this simply because of the higher flow exhaust.
Was it smoke or steam? If it was white, then it's steam which is to be expected. When gasoline burns, it produces (among other things) water vapor. On a cold day, you see the white steam come out of the back in the same way you see your breath on a cold day.

If it was light smoke, then you might not have catalytic converters installed (you said it was an aftermarket exhaust).

Dark smoke could be oil. However, I would bet it's just steam.

4. My engine never got hot according to the coolant gauge, but it was 20-40 degrees today, is it odd my electric fan turned on after i got off the freeway? It was very loud when it turned on for about a min and then went off.
The gauge should be in the middle of H and C. No matter how cold it is outside, your engine will eventually warm up to operating temperature. There is no way you were driving for an extended period on the highway and never got it to operating temperature. If your gauge is pegged at C, then you have a problem with your thermostat.

The fan will come on if the engine needs to cool itself off. It's perfectly normal operation.

5. I have the 2 separate stock deck's. Do i need to remove the radio/cassette deck as well to install a new cd player?
No idea. Probably not, but I would recommend you do unless you use the tape deck.

6. When i engage the clutch to shift the rpms slightly raise and hold right before i put it in the next gear as if i were pressing the gas pedal. Whats the method for fixing this? I remember reading about it somewhere but i cant find it now!
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...ging-rpms.html

I did this and it does work. Just be ready to do some fine-tuning so you don't have your engine cut out when you depress the clutch on the highway .