4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stage 1 or stage 2 comp cams?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 PM
ForrestB

I know they stock them on americanmuscle.com and their prices always seem to be competitive.

I'm curious about this too. I was considering putting stage 2 comp cams in. I'm n/a, have a fair amount of bolt on work done, running 3.73's. Aside from replacing springs, is there any other mods that I really should or must have done before putting in stage 2 cams?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ForrestB
I know they stock them on americanmuscle.com and their prices always seem to be competitive.

I'm curious about this too. I was considering putting stage 2 comp cams in. I'm n/a, have a fair amount of bolt on work done, running 3.73's. Aside from replacing springs, is there any other mods that I really should or must have done before putting in stage 2 cams?
Other than maticulously degreeing them in (ptv clearence will be extremely tight) and a full exhaust including long tubes, there's not much else needed or benificial.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 AM
ForrestB

PTV is piston-to-valve correct? Do you just mean that the installation is very tight or is there actual adjustments that have to be made to get them in?

I've heard about the MHS Stage 2 Cams on these forums. Are they quality cams (never heard of that brand anywhere else...though I haven't really done much looking) and would it be a solid upgrade without PTV clearance issues rather than the CMC's?

If I'm going to drop the money on Cams I want to get the most out of it, so I'm definitely leaning towards Stage 2. I'm worried (probably because I have very little idea what it means..) about the PTV clearance issue..
Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ForrestB
PTV is piston-to-valve correct? Do you just mean that the installation is very tight or is there actual adjustments that have to be made to get them in?

I've heard about the MHS Stage 2 Cams on these forums. Are they quality cams (never heard of that brand anywhere else...though I haven't really done much looking) and would it be a solid upgrade without PTV clearance issues rather than the CMC's?

If I'm going to drop the money on Cams I want to get the most out of it, so I'm definitely leaning towards Stage 2. I'm worried (probably because I have very little idea what it means..) about the PTV clearance issue..
Yes PTV = piston to valve. The Comp stage 2's will be very tight. Too tight to be considered safe by many. The way to get safe clearence is by retarding the intake centerline. Unfortunatly when you do that you're loosing power too. Most popular stage 2 cams (Comp, CMS, Hitech, etc) have 0.005"-0.015" clearence. Most expert engine builders like a minimum of 0.035" or more...a lot prefering 0.070".

MHS cams are gound by Bullet Racing, and they are among the very best in quality. They have grinds that will clear safely with no ptv clearence issues. Their stage 2 n/a cams are the best choice for the stock PI heads.

Call Nick at MHS, and decide for yourself. It was a real eye opener for me.

http://www.modularheadshop.com/Cams.htm
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
ForrestB

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

what ive heard about stage 1 and 2s are that stage 1s will go into our stock heads without any ptv issues. stage 2s need to be checked and may not fit without changing the pistons.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:15 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grogan
what ive heard about stage 1 and 2s are that stage 1s will go into our stock heads without any ptv issues. stage 2s need to be checked and may not fit without changing the pistons.
There's a lot of truth to that. Usually what needs to happen (with the stage 2's) is the intake centerline needs to be retarted (which costs power) or the pistons need to be notched.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:05 PM
2kStangGT08
2nd Gear Member

Ok so if I were to get the new wedge trickflow heads with cms stage 2 cam, would I have any ptv issues?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2kStangGT08
Ok so if I were to get the new wedge trickflow heads with cms stage 2 cam, would I have any ptv issues?
No you should be fine then.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
2kStangGT08
2nd Gear Member

Kool kool kool

Quick Reply: Stage 1 or stage 2 comp cams?