4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

radiator cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Heff

Default radiator cooling fan

hey guys i have a 99 gt with a cooling fan that doesn't work, I replaced the 50 amp relay/fuse in the distribution box, and still nothing, i used a test light to determine that the motor isn't getting any power, is there a seperate fuse other than the relay? any ideas?
thanks
heff
Old 07-23-2005, 11:48 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: radiator cooling fan

Did you test the actual motor on the fan. You may just have a bad fan motor. If the fueses are good then I would suspect the motor.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:51 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I assume you checked at the motor and the plug bringing power to it. Well, start tracing back and look for other plugs in-line and look for broken wires or wires that are pinched/compressed. Compressed wires may short. If so, then free them up and that should work. Also, check power at the fuse and make sure that you have power there.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:32 AM
ghoste
3rd Gear Member

Could also be a bad water temp sender, Your temperature gauge works right?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Heff

thanks for the ideas so far, I checked the plug going into the motor and it doesnt seem to be getting power, the odd thing is even in hot weather the temp gauge is at normal, but the fan light is on. I thought it would overheat. The plug going into the motor has three connectors for the three prongs, and I checked them individually with the test light, and got nothing, so maybe I tested it wrong, wiring isn't my specialty, I just thought this might be simple. also is the square fuse/relay in the power dist. box that i replaced the only fuse to replace?
thanks
Heff
Old 07-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Heff

Alright it looks like my best bet is to replace the coolant temp sensor, where is it located at?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 PM
STANGTVERT
I ♥ Acer

Is probably the motor........
Old 07-25-2005, 08:15 PM
ghoste
3rd Gear Member

passenger side intake manifold, to the left of the alternator, there is a brass fitting with a plug into it.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Heff

I tested the wire going into the motor while it should have been on and I got nothing, so unless I tested it wrong, it's not that and everybody seems to think that the coolant sensor is the next logical step, plus it's only $14 I just have to figure out where it's at.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Heff

alright I replaced the coolant temp sensor, and it's still not working, so I guess I'll take it to a shop and let the pro's handle it. Sure would be nice if just once it would be simple and easy, oh well
thanks for the help everyone
Heff

Quick Reply: radiator cooling fan