4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help with S/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Afghanmentor08

Default Help with S/C

I have a 2002 GT im looking to get a supercharger but i am undecided which one to get. Im looking for alot of hp but also reliable, can anyone help me out.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

It depends on how much you want to spend. Personally, i'd go with a Kenne Bell, but that's because i like instant power at every rpm...not just in the upper revs.

If i was to do a centrifigual blower it would be either a Paxton or Vortech.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Afghanmentor08

money isnt a problem i just want lots of power for what im going to pay
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Well, remember the stock bottom end can only take 400-420 rwhp safetly. Any blower can make that pretty easily.

Since money isn't an issue go i'd go with a basic 9lb. Kenne Bell. You'll be at the cars limit, and it will be a blast due to broad power curve of a twin screw blower.

If you want really big power (money not being a problem again) you'll need to forge the motor. At that point you might want to consider a stroker kit. Then you can run more boost as well, and push 500-600hp while still running pump gas.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

There are a lot of good reliable superchargers on the market: Vortech, ProCharger, Kenne Bell. But not all superchargers are the same. The two most common types are centrifical and twin-screw. Centrificals bolt to the front of the motor. Twin-screws replace your intake. They are different in the way they build boost. Centrifical build boost in direct relationship to engine rpms. Twin-screws build boost a little sooner. The result is that twin-screws have a more low end torque than centrifical superchargers. Both superchargers will generate more horsepower than your stock rods and pistons can stand.

The type of supercharger you pick really depends on how you use your car. Is you car a daily driver? Do you drive it all year long? In the rain? In the snow? Will other people be driving your car? Will they be driving in bad weather?

I picked a ProCharger P-1SC centrifical supercharger because my car is a daily driver that is driven in all sorts of weather including snow by both my wife and myself. My wife does not drive a car hard. I do. A car with a centrifical supercharger behaves almost like a stock Mustang at low rpms. Mine generates only 1.8 lbs of boost at 2500 rpms so its not a problem when my wife drives in in bad weather. Yet when I want power, its there. Actually there isn't very much difference in performance between the two because no one races at 2500 rpm. You can make twin-screws behave. It just takes a little more throttle control.

Big power means different things to different people. Unlike the manufacturers we usually measure horsepower at the wheels. 400 hp at the crank is approximately 352 rwhp through a manual transmission and approximately 320 rwhp throug an automatic. Most tuners recommend no more than 370-380 rwhp on a stock motor. Some guys will take the risk and push their motors a little harder. A supercharger with 8 lbs of boost will usually get 350 rwhp (manual transmission). A supercharger with 10 lbs will get closer to 400 rwhp (manual) on a completely stock motor. It is recommended that you run an intercooler for anything over 8 lbs of boost. Hot air from the supercharger can cause premature detonation in the cylinder. That is the single biggest risk to supercharged motors. That is why a good tune is essential.

For centrifical superchargers, the Mongoose kit (Vortech supercharger) runs around $3,900 plus about $1,000 for installation. It does not come with an intercooler. My ProCharger was $4,500 plus installation. It came with a 3-core intercooler. When I looked at a Saleen twin-screw the installation was $1,800. Beware of "tuner kits." They do not come with everything you need.

If your definition of big power is a lot more than that then you need to be prepared to spend big money. You have to not only modify your motor but also your entire drive train and suspension.

Last edited by Eagle2000GT; 02-03-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Afghanmentor08

Yea im not ready to start changing things in the motor just yet another year or so and i will be. It is my daily drive in all types of weather, so what would you recommend the Procharger?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Modular Power House has an excellent reputation. The top link is their Kenne Bell (twin-screw) supercharger. The bottom is their Vortech (centrifical) supercharger.

http://modularpowerhouse.com/product...a248a992272e7d

http://modularpowerhouse.com/product...a248a992272e7d

Exotic Performance Plus installed my ProCharger. This is ProCharger's basic kit with intercooler.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=195
Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
00infernoGT

i'm glad somone posted this thread, I have been wondering all the same stuff my self. lookin into a vortech...which vortech would be best for an ALMOST stock engine?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Afghanmentor08
Yea im not ready to start changing things in the motor just yet another year or so and i will be. It is my daily drive in all types of weather, so what would you recommend the Procharger?
i assume you are looking into a SC now? if money is not the issue, i would wait to put a SC on, build the motor now in preparation for a SC then when you are done, throw a KB on it and turn up the boost.

if 400+hp is your desire then the internals need to be done, so my logical thinking would be to build the motor now then SC it later on.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00infernoGT
i'm glad somone posted this thread, I have been wondering all the same stuff my self. lookin into a vortech...which vortech would be best for an ALMOST stock engine?
The most basic one. For Vortech I believe its the S-trim. Any of the basic models will generate more horsepower than the stock rods and pistons can hold. If you ever plan to build up the motor later it is more cost effective to buy a bigger supercharger initially than to upgrade later.

Quick Reply: Help with S/C