4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

02 Auto GT: Hard Shifting/Losing Traction

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Default 02 Auto GT: Hard Shifting/Losing Traction

I'm trying to see if my car has an issue, or if this is just the typical handling of a stock GT.

My transmission shifts very hard under WOT, especially from first to second. When doing a WOT launch, when the car shifts into second, the rear wheels violenty break loose and yaw the car up to 10 degrees to the right (that feels like a lot more than it sounds like). This happens even with the steering wheel dead straight on a straight track, and it requires immediate and significant steering correction to avoid spinning the car. Is this normal for a stock GT, or should I start looking for an issue with my transmission, limited slip diff, or traction control?

The area of concern is not that the GT is capable of breaking the tires loose, but rather that it comes with such a dramatic left-to-right imbalance.

For reference, I am an accomplished club racing driver, with season championships and experience in everything from high performance go karts to Corvettes and Formula Fords. This is not a driver adjustment issue.

If this is just how they handle, then I can see why it costs so much to insure these things... I can see an inexperienced driver wrapping one around a tree pretty easily! Still, lots of fun. I'd just like to get the grip issue under control.

Thanks for any opinions,
David

Last edited by Doc Hawk; 02-07-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

I spin through third. I have a 5 speed though.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:42 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Does the car have a shift kit? That could explain a lot. So could the type of tires, air temp, etc.

As far as the car going sideways (even with the wheel straight) i think it's very normal. Every stang that i've been in does it.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Dale7champ94

Only time I can get my 02 gt auto to break loose like that is if I have the T/C turned off. Then she'll dance at every shift. With T/C turned on I couldn't even get her to spin in the snow.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. Shift kit was the first thing I suspected; I just bought the car last week from the original owner (I'm only the 2nd owner) and he says he has never done a thing to it other than get it regularly serviced. It had maintenance records all the way back to 2002 and he seemed like a "stock" kind of guy. It also shifts very sedate when cruising.

I am running Kumho Ecstas on the street, and Nitto drag radials on the track. It breaks loose with either tire, with pressures ranging from 20-35 PSI.

I do believe my traction control works; when I turn it off the car can burn down the house from a launch, and I can do a one-lane u-turn by lighting up the tires. With TC on, I can feel brakes and engine management kick in after the tires chirp, and it does not slide.

The Intimidator fan above suggests that the shift kick only happens to him with TC off, but Mr T says the opposite - that it is normal. Anyone else want to jump in on either side of the issue?

Thanks again guys.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 AM
DR.DIESEL

if it dosnt have a shift kit the 1-2 accumulator spring that cushions the shift is either broke or missing
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

When you say a WOT launch, where are you launching at? You can't do a 5000+rpm launch in an auto and not expect it to break loose. For me, I launch (with 4.10's) at 1200rpm then nail it WOT and typically I won't loose it, though I have had it get away from me once in the 60', that wasn't fun. And yes, when you break, typically it will slide around to where you are now pointing toward the wall. I run on stock rubber, so that does explain some too. Also, you want to turn TC off, I tuned mine to off, that way I don't have to keep hitting the switch.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
When you say a WOT launch, where are you launching at?
I mean WOT acceleration from a start, not WOT then dump it into gear. I have been launching either from idle, or between 1500-2200 RPMs (I've only had the car two weeks now) and that has been fine. It's not the launch I'm talking about, its the runup through the gears, and specifically that first shift that gets the rear end really squirrely.

Dr. Diesel, that's a good thought. But, if the spring was completely non-functional, wouldn't it also shift hard under cruising conditions? Or would slow acceleration be smooth enough for the torque converter to "cover up"?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Mine was a 5 speed but would never go sideway. it always sun and then took off.my friends 99 on the other hand would kick the rear out at a moments notice
Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

boduke, Was your friend's car an auto?

Quick Reply: 02 Auto GT: Hard Shifting/Losing Traction