4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension mods: SFCs, LCAs, & Lowering Springs w/ LTs - Input?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I'm running BBK long tubes with a 1.5" drop, and no clearence issues to speak of. I don't think the BBK's run any lower than others from what i've seen.
+1 but with mac lt's. I have those huge speed bumps at my school too. But as mentioned the car is gonna rise up when the tires go over it so youll clear fine.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nagata
Honestly, I've chosen MM FL SFCs mostly based on seeing the most positive reviews and recommendations on them. I can't say that I've read bad things about Steeda FL SFCs, but I've not seen nearly as many recommendations for them, not as many testimonials.

Are the pre-welded on attachment tabs guaranteed to locate the FL SFCs exactly where they need to be, or might they end up needing to be tweaked during installation? Could tabs welded on during installation allow a more precise installation, less forcing the pre-fabbed piece to fit? I ask because I'm no expert, but I know that pre-fabbed pieces don't always fit perfectly, and could see the underside of a 15 year old car being different from the day it rolled off the assembly line.
Thanks for the honesty on what made you make your purchase decision. They are pre-welded where they need to be, they do not have to be tweaked during the installation.

Unless the car been in a severe accident where the frame is not where it needs to be, having the tabs pre welded has not posed any problems for us.

If you want to only lower the car about 1 to 1 1/4 inches, don't overlook our sport springs.

Compared to a "C" spring they have nearly identical spring rates on paper, but ours will ride a ton better than C springs. We use completely different materials for the spring wire and combined with other design factors we achieve much better ride quality for a given spring rate. In fact our ride quality will be much closer to what the softer "B" springs ride like than the C springs, even though spring rates are comparable to the C spring.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Nagata.... take a look at my suspension guide and get an idea of what is involved in the route you want to take. This is an expensive road to do it correctly, but will blow you away with the results that can be had.

I would recommend you look into a PHB or WL with a TA to really tame that rear end and eat the twisties alive

Jazzer
Reading your Suspension Guide was the first thing I did...3 times actually PHB & TA for the rear suspension is the eventual goal as we've discussed via PM, but it's a long-term goal at this moment. I'm looking forward to it if it happens, but keeping it mild for now.

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Thanks for the honesty on what made you make your purchase decision. They are pre-welded where they need to be, they do not have to be tweaked during the installation.

Unless the car been in a severe accident where the frame is not where it needs to be, having the tabs pre welded has not posed any problems for us.

If you want to only lower the car about 1 to 1 1/4 inches, don't overlook our sport springs.

Compared to a "C" spring they have nearly identical spring rates on paper, but ours will ride a ton better than C springs. We use completely different materials for the spring wire and combined with other design factors we achieve much better ride quality for a given spring rate. In fact our ride quality will be much closer to what the softer "B" springs ride like than the C springs, even though spring rates are comparable to the C spring.
I understand Steeda's stance, I can see the benefit, I just see so much more feedback about the MM FL SFCs. Of course, if Steeda has some sort of discount...

I'm pretty much set on the Steeda Sport springs, very close to pulling the trigger, just trying to do my research to the fullest extent. Anything you could offer to help me make my final decision?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Reading your Suspension Guide was the first thing I did...3 times actually PHB & TA for the rear suspension is the eventual goal as we've discussed via PM, but it's a long-term goal at this moment. I'm looking forward to it if it happens, but keeping it mild for now.

I understand Steeda's stance, I can see the benefit, I just see so much more feedback about the MM FL SFCs. Of course, if Steeda has some sort of discount...

I'm pretty much set on the Steeda Sport springs, very close to pulling the trigger, just trying to do my research to the fullest extent. Anything you could offer to help me make my final decision?
Well, how close are you to doing something that will alter the rear suspension geometry like a TA/PH bar setup? Your post seems to imply it will be later rather than sooner.... Of course we feel our 5-link will have advantages over that setup but I wont sidetrack the thread in that direction right now.....

But I do need to touch on that part briefly because if you are close to doing either type of setup, your spring rates are going to have to be different for that type of setup vs if you are running the factory 4 link setup, so you if you are not doing that anytime soon, then it would make sense to get our sport springs now. If you are doing it sooner rather than later, you may want to consider that and save up to do the TA or 5-link type suspension setup and your spring choice at the same time.

PM me for pricing if you want to go with the sport springs.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I agree with Steedagus here

I recommend you steer clear of replacing UCA's as the OEM ones are certainly flexable, but silly to replace them only to later install a 5 link or 3 link system.

This is why is stopped recommendations after FLSFC's and LCA's and asked for the ultimate goals. It is VERY difficult to do suspension mods efficiently, so one is asked the BIG questions early.

Jazzer
Old 02-09-2010, 04:53 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Well, how close are you to doing something that will alter the rear suspension geometry like a TA/PH bar setup? Your post seems to imply it will be later rather than sooner.... Of course we feel our 5-link will have advantages over that setup but I wont sidetrack the thread in that direction right now.....

But I do need to touch on that part briefly because if you are close to doing either type of setup, your spring rates are going to have to be different for that type of setup vs if you are running the factory 4 link setup, so you if you are not doing that anytime soon, then it would make sense to get our sport springs now. If you are doing it sooner rather than later, you may want to consider that and save up to do the TA or 5-link type suspension setup and your spring choice at the same time.

PM me for pricing if you want to go with the sport springs.
I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm probably at minimum a year away from going with a more extreme rear suspension rebuild, so I'm looking to stick to just LCAs and springs at this time. The springs and ISOs won't set me back to the point that it would make more sense to just save it, and I can always sell them used and recoup a bit of the money. PM will be sent very soon.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Alright, it's official, the suspension mods will commence! I have ordered and received the following: MM XD non-adjustable LCAs, MM spring ISOs, Steeda powdercoated FL SFCs, and Steeda Sport Springs. Both places were great to deal with, I got everything less than a week after ordering. I highly recommend Gus @ Steeda, excellent person to do business with.

Now, I just have to wait for winter to be over so I can get the GT back out and get to work wrenching
Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

seems like we have almost the same car, with almos the same goals in mind for it. I am actually looking to do almost exactly what you are doing now. i'm eager to hear what u think of ur mods, it will make my job of picking parts out easier.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Alright, it's official, the suspension mods will commence! I have ordered and received the following: MM XD non-adjustable LCAs, MM spring ISOs, Steeda powdercoated FL SFCs, and Steeda Sport Springs. Both places were great to deal with, I got everything less than a week after ordering. I highly recommend Gus @ Steeda, excellent person to do business with.

Now, I just have to wait for winter to be over so I can get the GT back out and get to work wrenching
Good Luck!!!