4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Painting Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 AM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

Default Painting Q's

Over the past couple months I've been going back and forth with the idea of painting my wing, rear panel, and the lower part of my rear bumper. I've seen a bunch of pictures and It's definitely growing on me. My question is can I do this myself? Does anyone have a little write-up or anything on it?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i thought they sold vinyl pieces that you can apply on the back panel and lower rear bumper. i have seen them painted as well.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hotrpa9gt.html

that looks like a plastic honeycomb plastic piece....dont know if any of this helps
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

I did mine last weekend. Semi flat black in a rattle can. Started with 800 grit,1000, then 1500 grit sandpaper. The most time- consuming thing for me was making sure I got all my lines right with the painters tape. I probably started over 3 or 4 times before I was happy with tape placement. The worst issue I had was the cold weather. The paint clumped & ran down the bumper insert. This was my own stupidity and impatience. I gave up for the night when I noticed ice build-up on the decklid. Also removed spoiler & hand painted some temp. plugs to fill holes (body color). Looks much cleaner with lines like a Bullit. It was the 1st time I tried the driveway method. I'm happy w/ the results. I did'nt get a lot of pics, can't put up the pics, do'nt believe I've got enough posts. Just take your time, I got everything from AutoZone.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

To the OP, I posted some pics after I finished in the members garage. Look for cajunGT. I also used my GT badge to cover the holes from the FORD badge. 3M double stick tape. I've been getting a lot more compliments from complete strangers on the ride since this little subtle mod.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
StangManBen

Nice work Cajun and it does look good!! He's right though, make sure you get your tape lined up good! That can make/wreck paint work. It's also pretty amazing to see what a little wetsanding will do to help things out!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

Thank You, Just remember patience is your friend when doing this!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

how is that paint holding up? you did it in the cold i would suspect it wont bond and cure properly as if done in nicer weather.

i have done plenty of spray paint jobs, but i would not attempt any body panels cinz it could easily scratch/chip

came out great tho
Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
StangManBen

Originally Posted by smitty2919

i have done plenty of spray paint jobs, but i would not attempt any body panels cinz it could easily scratch/chip
Depends on what you're doing. My brother in law did the indention in front of his hood scoop and his taillight panel and they both came out fine and look good and have held up. His C-stripe on the side though was another story. I would think the spoiler and rear bumper should be alright. Someone had painted that bottom portion of the rear bumper on mine flat black before I bought it and it's held up fine and I have a half mile of gravel to drive on every time I take it out and haven't had any problems. I also drive about 10 MPH max too! But excellent point!
Also, I would try and get it as warm as possible as well. I know I did some interior pieces in my basement this winter and had to keep a space heater running down there before I started and after I was done because of the cold floor. I didn't do it once and ended up sanding my you know what off and trying again.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

No problems, no runs. I was using spotlights to cover any shadows. I set the cans in front of the lights to warm up before and during application. It's only gonna be temporary for me though. I worked at a body shop for a couple years (15 yrs ago) so alot of friends still in the industry. I would'nt try to paint my own car, but for that small of an area I'm happy with it..
Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

I was wearing a short sleeve shirt yesterday while running errands. I do'nt live far from New Orleans, So my results may not be typical for everyone at this time of year. But I did have to start over once on the bottom bumper due to poor adhesion. Your results may vary!!

Quick Reply: Painting Q's