4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please advise on following performance upgrades (not my car)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM
srt4az

Default Please advise on following performance upgrades (not my car)

First off, I created an account here to help out my buddy with his 2002 Mustang GT. Since he recently decided to keep the car instead of trading for a 350z, he wants to beef it up N/A performance wise to edge ahead on another friend's stock 2001 Bullitt (in a straight line at least, no nitrous).

So far he has the following:
2002 Mustang GT
BBK CAI
BBK 78mm TB/Plenum

After my research, the next three mods I would recommend to him be:

H or X pipe (suggestions on which to buy? can you use with the stock exhaust after?)
Pulleys
Tune

Does this sound right to you guys?
Are headers needed?

For tuning on my car (srt-4) the DiabloSport Predator is the most common, beneficial, and easy to use. Is that true for the 4.6 GTs as well? (no 93 octance in AZ)
Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Tell him to buy gears. That will take care of the stock Bullitt pretty easily.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Stock for stock the gt and Bullitt are a drivers race. There's only a 5 hp difference. He could very well win the race right now if he can drive better than the other guy.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
srt4az

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Stock for stock the gt and Bullitt are a drivers race. There's only a 5 hp difference. He could very well win the race right now if he can drive better than the other guy.
Only 5hp on paper.... claims the friend with the Bullitt. He said Ford underrated them on paper because they were almost on par with the n/a cobras at the time.

I have driven both cars and it "seems" like the Bullitt pulls harder, and has much better throttle response.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

mrtstang is correct. They are basically the same car...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:25 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

What makes a Bullitt, A Bullitt

The limited edition Ford Mustang Bullitt GT was available in 2001, designed to pay homage to the 1968 Steve McQueen movie Bullitt, in which McQueen's character, Lt. Frank Bullitt got behind the wheel of a Highland Green 1968 GT390 Fastback and chased two assassins in a black Dodge Charger R/T.

The 2001 Mustang Bullitt GT was available in three colors: Black, the new True Blue, and Dark Highland Green, borrowed from Ford's F-Series lineup. There were 3041 green, 1818 black, and 723 blue Bullitts produced. Dark Highland Green was not available on any other Mustang.

Exterior features included a blacked-out corral around the pony in the grille, distinctive red brake calipers all around with a silver Mustang pony on the front calipers.
The body got simple side scoops, a different 'c' pillar trim and a brushed aluminum fuel door.

Less is more sometimes and Ford deleted the rear spoiler and the front fog lamps. The 2001 Bullitt Mustangs also got a retro interior theme. The new seats were designed after seats from the 1960s, and were much more comfortable than the standard seats. The numbers in the gauge cluster were written in a tall, thin font like in the 1960s as well. The shifter got an aluminum ball and the shifter trim ring. The Bullitts had a different intake than the GT they were based upon, and the upgrades resulted in an additional five horsepower and nice sound and "BULLITT" was engraved on the sill plates.

Although Ford planned to produced 6500 Bullitts, only 5582 rolled off the line.

BULLITT SPECIFICATIONS

What makes a Bullitt Different

POWERTRAIN, SUSPENSION AND BRAKE COMPARISON
Bullitt GT
Front Suspension
Springs 600 lb/in. linear
(lowers car 3/4") 450 lb/in. linear
Struts 35 mm piston,
custom valved struts 32 mm piston
Stabilizer Bar 28mm tubular 26.5mm solid
Rear Suspension
Springs 250 lb/in. linear (lowers car 3/4") 210 lb/in. linear
Shocks 30 mm piston, custom valved shocks 30 mm piston
Stabilizer Bar 21 mm tubular 23 mm solid
Brakes
Front
Calipers Dual piston aluminum,
custom painted Dual piston aluminum
Disk Rotors 330 mm vented 276 mm vented
Rear
Calipers Single piston Single piston
Rotors 296 mm vented 267 mm solid
ABS/T.C. Yes Yes
Misc. Subframe connectors N/A

Engine and transmission modifications

* The new cast aluminum intake manifold has an increased runner diameter to maintain low-end torque and provide a broader power curve for increased top-end performance.
* A twin 57mm-bore throttle body replaces the GT 65 mm throttle body, allowing for quicker throttle response and increased peak flow.
* To reduce parasitic losses, the alternator pulley was increased to 66 mm and the water pump pulley was increased to 140 mm.
* The exhaust system has been retuned to increase flow approximately 20% and give the Bullitt a new distinct sound.
* All Mustang Bullitts have the new TR3650 transmission and clutch assembly that provides improved shift quality. A new 11-inch flywheel and clutch assembly have been added to increase torque capacity and reduce clutch pedal efforts.

Exterior

* Pony on grill is centered in a blacked out coral instead of chrome.
* Does not come with a spoiler.
* Brushed aluminum gas filler door.
* Molded front mud guards.
* Different Rocker Panels
* Lowered by 3/4"
* Red Brake calipers with a silver Mustang.
* Simple side scoops without the honeycomb plastic grill.
* Bullitt Badge on the left of Trunk lid.
* Rolled exhaust tips.
* Molded c-pillars sweep forward instead of straight down.

Interior

* Brushed aluminum shifter bezel.
* Brushed aluminum ball shifter ****.
* Door sills with BULLITT logo.
* Retro dash has white lighting and closely indexed speedometer.
* Seats are stitched to replicate the style from the 60's..
* New stainless steel pedal covers are positioned to provide better heel-to-toe relationship
Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Honestly, there's no way a Bullitt is on par with 99-01 Cobras. Just go on Youtube, and see a stock Bullitt being dynoed. They really are only like 5-10 rwhp more than a gt...that's it. Supposedly the Bullitt had "slightly" better low-mid range torque than the gt. Maybe that extremely slight difference with the different suspension setup made it feel faster, but in all reality, it's very much a drivers race.

My buddy had a full bolt ons 01 Bullitt with 4.10's, and a custom tune, and when we raced (we had the same basic bolt ons, gears, and tune) it was always a drivers race. Even from a roll, it was so damn close.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM
srt4az

As far as purchasing upgrades go, I think the 3 things we want now are:

X pipe (he wants some rumble, which the stock system lacks)
Gears
Tune (DSP for this? or goto a shop and have it tuned?)
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 AM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by srt4az

Gears
If he just wants more rumble I would suggest welding in some better chambered mufflers. I did that before installing a new x-pipe. The mufflers gave it the rumble. The new catted x made it a loud rumble.

And if it is a 5-speed I would recommend an mgw short shifter over the tune. The shorter shifts will likely benefit him more than a canned tune on a relatively stock car.

Last edited by tws1098; 02-13-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:54 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by srt4az

Gears
If you do this, plus with the mods he already has, he should smoke the Bullitt, as long as he can drive.

Quick Reply: Please advise on following performance upgrades (not my car)