4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

AutoX / RoadRace Suspension

Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
^haha nice

Thanks, i think i may go that route then, not afraid to get my hands dirty. I never plan on getting a roll cage so i figured this would be the better route.

Jazzer, last question, did you ever go around on the lower sfc before installing the uppers? and if so did you feel there was a large improvement over just the lowers? I really want to stiffen the chaises before I start doing rear and front components. I only ask because not a lot of people on here get the uppers, most just get the lowers and that's it.
I didn't go with griggs but before and after with the MM full length SFC's were night and day, you notice a lot less squeeking in the interior when you turn/go a curb into any business etc. Afterwards the cars tendency to wanna swing the rear around was a bit more noticeable and the car no longer looked as if it was twisted when I was in a high g turn, also I tend to three wheel it into the local chevron if I don't go slow.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by stangalator
"... Jazzer, last question, did you ever go around on the lower sfc before installing the uppers? and if so did you feel there was a large improvement over just the lowers? I really want to stiffen the chaises before I start doing rear and front components. I only ask because not a lot of people on here get the uppers, most just get the lowers and that's it.
I had my uppers/lowers installed at one time, so have no comparison for you, unfortunately

I will say this... you cannot have TOO stiff a frame for suspension, so the stiffer the better (Jazzer will keep this in mind as it has seemed to work for him so far )
Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

thanks guys, i really appiracate it

I will get the uppers then, I'm still waiting for the guy to weld in my MMFLSFC then I can think about the Uppers. Did you notice that your seat didn't fit after the uppers? I notice the griggs says this,

"94+ Street driven Mustangs with power seats may have to switch to a manual adjuster (ford part number) or modify the drivers side upper rail. "

You have any issues, just want to make sure.

http://www.griggsracing.com/product_...roducts_id=214

is this the same basic install as what I would have to do? because I don't have a plasma cutter...
http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?p=9361387

Last edited by stangalator; 02-17-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am sure I had my Recaros installed prior to the SFC's being installed, but pretty sure the stock motorized seat would not fit over the upper bar. The guy you linked actually made a "jog" in the upper to keep the bar low as it passed under the seat and went through the bulkhead. My bar is straight and goes right up out of the floor and passes under the seat and up against the bulkhead with about 1" space below it to the carpet. I have the rear floor mats fit snugly under them and the bottom of the seat clears by probably a couple inches.

I like that guys install and goes all the way back into the rear frame, so I am sure it is quite strong. Griggs does this with their track cars, but does not have that bend in the 2"x2" bar. It goes straight into the frame after the torque-box connection where it begins to curl up over the rear axle. When installed in this way, it is a bit more ridged than up against the bulkhead and makes the bar even lower than mine. I bet one could probably run the OEM motorized seats with that design. Why anyone would want to run them is completely beyond me, but would likely fit.

Jazzer